Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stinky milk, lopsided boobs, and sound sleep

Default stinky milk, lopsided boobs, and sound sleep

My ds is 6 weeks old and I feel like we're finally getting bfing down pat, but I still have some questions and concerns...

1. My husband says that sometimes my milk smells like buttered popcorn! I don't smell it on me really, but I do smell it sometimes on my ds. Anyone else have stinky milk? Will this go away? Could it be my diet?

2. My right breast is much larger than my left and it has MUCH more milk. It's really noticeable when I pump and I get so much more out of the right than I do out of the left. Could this be because I usually start nursing on the right side first? If I started with the left when ds is gulping down would I produce more on that side?

3. Sleep is such an issue in our house. Let me start by saying that if I don't get a few hours of sound sleep I am absolutely worthless the next day. My DH on the other hand can cope pretty well on 4-5 hours, so he's pretty much on night duty. We also have a 19 month old dd who is a very light sleeper and I have to ease her back to sleep several times a night. Our ds is a very noisy sleeper. He moans and groans all night and he will not sleep in his bassinet alone for more than 2 hours without going into a screaming fit. This makes it impossible for me to sleep in the same room with him because I'm up the whole time listening. Plus he just has to be held to sleep. He'll go 5-6 hours at a time if he is laying on my husband's chest. This is great, but right now my DH is sleeping on his back on the couch and this is really wearing on him. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get ds to sleep on his own??? Should we let him "cry it out"?? I would really love to have my DH back in our bed!

Sorry this is so long! Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: stinky milk, lopsided boobs, and sound sleep

I can only respond to #2: If you are going to offer both breasts at each feeding you should switch each time which side you start with. Since he's likely to take more out of the first breast since he's hungry at the start, you will keep telling that breast to make more and more every time. I think you will find if you make sure to switch which side you start on each time you will see them even out quickly.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

#1- I only notice the smell of breastmilk that has been spit-up... yuck. Can't help you with it smelling all the time...?

#2- agree w/ pp
    I keep a hair tie as a bracelet and move it to the same-side wrist of the breast that ds nurses on last. That way I always empty both breasts every two feedings, no uneven breasts but our LC said that it is normal to pump uneven amounts from each breast. But you are definitely stimulating the right side to make more than the left if you always start on the right.

#3- matter of personal opinion and parenting style. It sucks b/c the 'sleep when baby sleeps' idea is completely out the window after the first.

Good Luck.

have you tried swaddling? Sometimes, if my dd won't sleep, I would swaddle her, and then hold her and jiggle her. That way, when I put her down, she still thinks I am holding her. Your baby is only 11 days old? that was always common for my two newborn dds, and swaddling is how I was able to get them to sleep a bit.

HTH!

Thanks! I'll make sure I'm switching sides every time to try to even things out.

My LO is 6 weeks old now, but we haven't tried swaddling in a while. That might help!

I thought buttered popcorn was a good sign! I bet the fresh stuff has a milder fragrance, no worries.

I agree with the pp about swaddling..wwe got a special swaddling blanket called the miracle blanket and it got my DD fro sleep 2-3 hours at a time to sleeping 5 hours at a time. Now she knows when i swaddle her it is time to sleep. She is three months and I still swaddle her for every sleep time. The Baby Whisperer has some good methods for teachng the baby to be comfortable in their own bed, that was important to us too. She doesn't advocate crying it out which was great because I could never have done that...you might want to check out her books or website. Good luck...