Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any advice appreciated!

Unhappy Any advice appreciated!

My little boy is 8 days old. am trying so hard to breastfeed. Problem is we supplemented because i have breast implants that are over the muscle and the nurses & docs were concerned about my milk coming in and since he's small, him gaining weight.

Well, now he spends like an hour at the breast until i lay him down, and falls asleep sucking the whole time after sucking like 3 sucks. Then he wants a bottle. So he knows it's coming. The doc said to try to stop supplementing, but then he cries sooo much.. and not to mention when i pump i get SOOO little... like 1/2 oz maybe. So i am worried my milk really IS low.

I dont know what to do and it makes what is usually a super happy baby and home, into this awful experience. I just want him to be healthy and happy...

Any advice? the lactation consultant said to try weaning back on the formula... slowly. So we might try that...

I just love my boy and want what's best... and i feel like i'm failing here and would just love to know the best approach. I don't want to give up but i also don't want to have him unhappy and not well fed.

Thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: Any advice appreciated!

First I want to say, You Can Do This

My DS took an hour to feed and he fell asleep all the time also. He started to take less time at about 6 weeks. He now nurses in about 20 min. It gets better I swear!!! Just remind yourself that being born is hard work and he is still recovering from it. He will sleep a lot. I was so suprised at the length of time it took to nurse him at first I thought something was wrong. But nothing was and now its much better. Good luck and keep at it, it is totally worth it.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

weaning baby off the formula slowly was good adivce.
    There is some info her on the website about breastfeeding and inplants.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsurgery.html
    1/2 oz of milk is great for 8 days after birth!
    most newborns need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours to get the milk they need for weight gain. They bulid your milk supply the more often they nurse.
    What are babies wet diapars like, when you slowly cut out the formula count the wet diapars.
    heres a link about how to tell if baby is getting the milk they need
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; April 26th, 2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: I cann't spell.......

I just wanted to add not to be surprised at how little you get when you pump....especially at 8 days. It has nothing to do with how much of a supply you have. I can barely pump an ounce at 9 1/2 months!

I'm really surprised your LC just told you to wean to formula. If I were you I'd just nurse as much as possible to get your supply up and knock out the bottle since that is only hurting your supply and confusing your baby. I know it's hard in the beginning when they want to nurse constantly, but it does get better. Have you tried offering the breast when he starts crying instead of a bottle?

I hope someone else can give you some better advice. Just hang in there, Mama. You can do this
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

Oh, sorry, I read that wrong. I thought you said your lactation consultant said to wean to formula...lol
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

That was mostly my fault... sorry...

I have implants over the muscle too and have/had very similar issues with my 3 week old. I am taking medication to boost my supply since in addition to the implants i have a baby with a weak suck.

I was also only able to pump 1/2 oz or so at a time, until I started hand expressing. Then an ounce maybe. Now, I have a hospital pump (symphony) and I use it while he's doing his 40 min nursefest, on the unoccupied side. I often get an oz or 2 in the 1st few minures, then nothing. Usually, I give what I pumped to my dh to feed him with the finger feeder when he finishes nursing on the one side, then I pump that side too for a few minutes (because of his weak suck).

I went through this with my last baby too, and I was totally convinced I really didn't have enough milk. But this baby has taught me otherwise. Hand expressing really helped me understand how my milk flows and how much there really is there, and that I need to just get my baby big enough and strong enough to get the milk out.

PM me or email me if you need to chat. I'm proud of you for trying so hard!

half and onz is very good at these early days also your baby is better than any pump and for every onz you pumb they they would get two. i have 3 boys and im BF at the moment and i don't think i could get even that at 8 days your milk is only kicking in now as for the first 3 to 5 days its colostrum. babies at this age do want to feed a lot this is because they are helping build up your supply and they do tend to suck for ages i think its for comfort too they love being close to mammy. When you put him down try offering the breast again if he still cries. In the early days feeds do tend to run in to each other. just believe in your self and it does get easier they get very good at this breast feeding very quickly and enjoy these early days they fly by so quickly.
    remember to eat well drink lots of water and have lots of rests to build up your strength and well done for trying so hard.
    Best of luck Niamh
    remember to pump when you give baby a bottle it will all help to increase your supply and don't worry about how much you get.
    just a quick thought are you pumping the half onz after you have just feed your baby . either way that still good..
    mammy to 20/02/01 22/03/03 12/04/06 26/08/08
    wife to my lovely husband Paul