Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Once OS, always OS?

Default Once OS, always OS?

I have OS and I've been blockfeeding for the past 2 weeks. I finally feel like it's under control somewhat except I still have OALD. My breasts feel alot softer nowadays but I don't know if that could be my body adjusting to my baby. I usually wait the 2 hour interval for blockfeeding before offering my other breast but sometimes DS wants to nurse after 1 or 1.5 hours and I wonder if I should stay on the same breast or switch over. I don't want to aggravate the OS but sometimes I feel "empty" on the recently used breast.

Also, once OALD, always OALD? I'm so tired of having to lean back when nursing. It'll make it hard to NIP.

Default Re: Once OS, always OS?

I agree, once OS begins to get under control it feels like I must have no milk because my breasts feel so empty! I just watch the little nursling. I usually stick to one side for two solid feedings not including "snacks" (which may be more like 3-4 hours block per side). When I think I am out of milk I watch her, if she is still sucking and swallowing and passes out with a milk mustache - she must be getting enough milk.

I do not know if OALD ever goes away. I have only been block feeding for a week. My OALD has not slowed down with a decreased milk supply. DD is getting used to waiting until the sprays are done. I also am concerned about NIP. Am taking vacation soon and a little worried about how to catch the sprays, hold the babe, and maintain a little modesty.

I'm not sure if OALD ever goes away, but I do think your baby will adjust and get better at dealing with it. My let-down is pretty strong but my son just adjusted and deals with it by really going at it, lots of quick swallowing. Have you tried removing your baby during let-down and letting the milk spray into a towel and then putting your baby back on when the flow slows down a little?

If you feed on demand and don't pump extra, your oversupply problems should be resolved as your body adjusts. Since your baby is only 1 month old (I think) then it's still early to have a perfect supply worked out. Stick with it!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I think baby just gets used to the fast flow and starts to adjust. He's adjusted well on one side, but still coughs and splutters on the other (not sure why). It's been 7 weeks and I still have just as strong of a let down.

When my oversupply settled down, the letdown did, too. We haven't had any wet faces for weeks now Hope that happens for you, too!
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

I was wondering the same thing ewxcept I was wondering if you have OALD with one baby will you for sure have it with the next? This is my first baby and we have had tons of probs with OALD...and I am wondering if this is going to be an issue again with my next baby (in years from now...but just wondering about it).....is your let down a built in mechanism that is either on target or too forceful or can it change from pregnancy to pregnancy? TIA