Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 teeth and biting...ouch!!

Default 8 teeth and biting...ouch!!

I don't know what to do, it seems like I've tried everything, but he seems to use me as his personal teether sometimes. It's close to the end of nursing when he bites, and he laughs about it when I say no in a stern voice. By the way, he's almost one, but I really need some help to stop this now before it gets any worse!

Default Re: 8 teeth and biting...ouch!!

Watch for signs that he's ready to finish nursing, and sometimes you can unlatch them before they bite.

Also- if your baby bites you can tell them "no biting" in a very stern voice and end the nursing session- including putting them down and walking out of the room.

My horror story from my first baby is this- at the time I had read in a breastfeeding article about biting to flick them on the end of the nose and say loudly "no biting." So the first time my ds bit me reflex kicked in, I remembered the article, and attempted to flick gently his nose. Unfortunately he moved towards me- so my flick was more of a thump. He screamed, I cried because I'd thumped my baby's nose. He never did bite me again though. But I also didn't do that with either of my next two nurslings either. I just did the ending nursing sessions thing.

Hi,
    My son does that sometimes.
    I read once to pull them in closer and they'll have to open their mouths as a reflex to breathe. It works for me but obviously I'm doing it gently with love .
    Sometimes though I do have to just stick my finger in and pry him off.
    Good luck!

I agree with the PP. When LO begins to bite, smoosh him against your breast covering the nose. This will only take a second for them to let go as they can not breathe. (This is not mean, it only lasts a short second) This worked GREAT for us. On the flip side, I started saying "no biting". This rarely worked, I find most of the time when you say "no" to a LO, they find humor in it and immediately do it again. Little boogers!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

My dd did the same thing. It is a stage and they do stop eventually! I always said somehting like "no biting" in a stern voice and then ended the nursing session. As she got older I would say "No biting, that hurts mommy" then end the session and if she whined and cried to nurse then I'd say "we don't bite mommy". Also you might be careful what you say when he's eating solids. Avoid saying "do you want a bite" Try saying "do you want a taste" or somehting that doesn't contain the word "bite" so he doesnt' get confused. Good luck. Stick it out...it does get better!! My dd is almost 18mos now.