Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "lipstick" shape?

Unhappy "lipstick" shape?

Hi. I've been exclusively breastfeeding my son for 12 days now and am currently working on our latch. I've noticed that when he comes off my breast that my nipple is shaped like a lipstick. Any ideas on what is causing it? I just can't seem to figure out what I could be doing wrong. Thanks!

Default Re: "lipstick" shape?

He's not latched on deeply enough. He needs to get more of the aerola in his mouth. When a baby is latched on properly, the breast tissue is way back into the soft palette of his mouth. If your nipple is lipstick shaped when it comes out of his mouth then it's being compressed into the hard palette. This can be caused by a number of things but most often it's just simply because he's latched on improperly.

Are your nipples sore?

A lot of mom's can get a better latch if they use the Rapid Arm Movement (RAM) technique. Baby is positioned properly and when he opens up wide, you use your hand to bring baby quickly and firmly into the breast.

Have you had baby evaluated for a tongue-tie?

Would it be possible for you to call a local LLL Leader and ask her to make a home visit to evaluate things? That might help you immensely

HTH!

Thanks Carol! I made an appt. with my lactation consultant after I posted yesterday, and she said it looks like he is chomping down to control the milk flow. I have an abundant supply, which I thought was a blessing but turns out that it is not so. She showed me the "australian hold" and we've been working on that. I'm determined to continue breastfeeding, I just hope I can tolerate the chomping for the next year or so. Do you think he will outgrow this?

That's great that you got personal help! As for him chomping down -- oversupply issues which are usually associated with an overactive let-down usually resolve themselves by about the 12-week mark. Also, in time, your baby will learn how to keep up with the forceful, fast flow of milk. But there are things you can do in the meantime to protect your delicate nipples! LOL

First, you can try to do what is called block feeding. It's where you only nurse from one breast for a specific period of time. So, for instance from 12-3 you only nurse from the right breast no matter how many times baby needs to nurse during that time. From 3-6, you use only the left breast and so on and so forth. The theory behind block feeding is that the breasts receive less stimulation which in turn causes them to produce less milk. Over the course of a week or so, your supply should lessen a bit. In the meantime, don't pump if you can help it. And if you do need to pump the unused breast, only pump enough off to relieve any discomfort.

Second, you could try to pump or hand-express your milk until after let down and then put your baby to breast.

Third, you can use gravity to your advantage -- try lying on your back and putting baby on top of you to nurse.

I hope that helps!