Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the acrobatic nursing that I have read about??

Default Where is the acrobatic nursing that I have read about??

I remember reading a page on the LLL site or on Kelly Mom about toddler nursers who like to do acrobatic nursing, meaning nurse in all kinds of different positions. Why doesn't my daughter like to?? She won't even nurse when I am laying on my side anymore! She wants me sitting up, her laying in my lap, etc. She is pretty darn cute when she is laying in my lap so contented, nursing. I am not really complaining, I just wish that I did not ALWAYS have to sit up and "assume the position" in order for her to be willing to nurse.

Do your babies nurse in different positions? How old were they when they started? I know that I will miss the times when she wanted to nurse like an infant so I should really not be hurrying this long, I am just really curious if/when your baby started nursing in other positions.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Default Re: Where is the acrobatic nursing that I have read about??

I sometimes feed DD when she is sitting straddling my leg. I hold my breast up to her and she can eat that way. I also am able to nurse laying down on my side, and laying down on my back with her on my stomach. She likes that the best becuase she likes to play with the nipple and also is eye level with me. What other positions are there? She began when she could hold her head up, which was really early, just like DD1, about three weeks.

My son is more calm about nursing at 15 mo than he was at 6 mo by a long shot! He will nurse lying down, but only at night when he is mostly asleep. Other than that, he pretty much just wants to relax in the cradle hold. So, you're not the only one.

My DD stated to move around a lot at about 10 months (the same time she started walking). I would love to have her just sit there and calmly nurse again, and she does at 3am, but that's about it. Sometimes she tries to climb up on my sholder so she is nursing upside down, she tries to put her feet to my ears all the time too.

you are lucky.

I get most of the acrobatic nursing when we're in bed and he would rather us be up for the day but since I'm not moving he's going to entertain himself by nursing in strange positions. During the day he still mostly is held like a baby -- I still usually even hold the breast for him (my dd had insisted that I do that as well). My ds is 20 months by the way.

Laura
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

I found this to be funny that you posted this topic, because I have been thinking that it is crazy how my daughter who is 13 months, has been so playful when it comes to nursing and that I will never be able to wean her. She just loves it so much. But my concern is that maybe I shouldnt allow this behavior because when we are in public it can be disconcerting. I am never sure what she might do?!?!? I have not read up on this topic and thoughts please email me.

11girl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

ok I have to repost this youtube video that I saw here months ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZCYCUcfGs

Kiira has gotten so good that the other night when we were in bed she latched on as I was leaning over her to get a drink of water! i guess she was like, ok, i'll get a drink too!
    Last edited by 11girl; May 10th, 2007 at 09:45 AM.

Ok, I am laughing out loud over that video. THAT WAS FUNNY!!! WHY is my baby so unwilling to nurse in a position other than the standard "infant?"

Then again, I suppose if the alternative is feet in my ears, I SHOULD be thankful, eh?

sagemom, are you worried because your baby is "acrobatic" when you are in public. My daughter will be 13 months on the 15th and she LOVES to nurse. When she wants it she wants it NOW and will stand for no delays, it does make public nursing a little tough these days. She also refuses to have my shirt covering my boob the way I used to leave it, she wants to shove it way up out of the way, thereby exposing the whole breast. SIGH

PS How sad is it that there is a disclaimer before that video that some people might find it obscene?
    Last edited by Mommyto3; May 10th, 2007 at 11:02 PM.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

that gave me a good laugh, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by sagemom View Post
    I found this to be funny that you posted this topic, because I have been thinking that it is crazy how my daughter who is 13 months, has been so playful when it comes to nursing and that I will never be able to wean her. She just loves it so much. But my concern is that maybe I shouldnt allow this behavior because when we are in public it can be disconcerting. I am never sure what she might do?!?!? I have not read up on this topic and thoughts please email me.
    Hi sagemom,
    Have you seen the book, Mothering Your Nursing Toddler, by Norma Jane Bumgarner? It can be really helpful when it comes to understanding nursing toddler needs and behaviors through different ages and stages.
    Sometimes, they save certain behaviors just for home. As they get older, some will ask less when they are out and about.
    It's common to feel like they might never wean sometimes. But really, it does happen! They can go through various stages of increased frequency and intensity. Sometimes this can be linked to developmental milestones or changes in routine or impending illness or teething. It can really help to remember there's usually a reason for increased frequency and, if you are feeling overwhelmed, that it won't last forever.

Mary