Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Skin-to-Skin contact in cold weather??

Question Skin-to-Skin contact in cold weather??

My baby is only days away from being born and I am committed to breastfeeding--however I keep reading how important it is for mother and baby to have skin-to-skin contact as much as possible and I am confused as to how to handle this when it is so freezing cold in my house right now! The last thing I will want to do at every feeding is undress my baby and myself for that skin-to-skin contact while trying to keep us both warm. Is her face to my breast enough?

Wink Re: Skin-to-Skin contact in cold weather??

lol... turn up the heat.

I think as long as you don't have the baby completely bundled/swaddled in blankets while BFing you'll be OK. Besides, from what I've read the only really important time for Skin to Skin is during the first hour after birth. It's nice to continue during all of BFing... but obviously impossible for every time you feed. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure you get that first skin to skin in the hospital.

But, I'm no expert... I'm still pregnant and still learning.
    Last edited by Marge129; January 16th, 2006 at 03:33 PM.

Default Re: Skin-to-Skin contact in cold weather??

You want skin to skin that first hour and you also want it if baby is sleepy. It helps rouse them. What you do is lay skin to skin and then wrap your baby in blankets with you. We neeeded this for the first week or so.

Skin to skin contact is great for so many different breastfeeding situations. Yes, skin to skin is most important in the early days, but it's benefits continue much further into the breastfeeding relationship.

For skin to skin in colder temps, try wearing layers that you can loosely wrap around the both of you. Some mothers find a housecoat or robe to be a great help! Other mothers find blankets and those throws with snaps to be helpful, as well. Some mothers use a sling to help assist them with skin to skin. If the house is especially cold, you might consider closing off a room and heating it at least to a comfortable temp with a portable heater (following all safety rules, of course!), for your comfort and for baby's.

HTH

You can put the baby skin-to-skin with you and then wrap a blanket around yourselves. If you have something like a big, fluffy robe or even an oversized flannel shirt, you can strip your baby down and put them inside the robe or the shirt If you're able to nurse lying down, just take the baby to bed with you and pull the covers up (if you're going to fall asleep make sure you practice safe co-sleeping). You can even take your baby into a warm bathtub with you--they love the water!
    Jen

I've found a fleece blanket to be a lifesaver. It's fluffy, retains the heat well, and is light, not to mention that my 2 month old loves the feel of it. My house gets very cold, since we have no central heat, and the space heaters only work so well, so I definitely feel your pain.

I've taken to just going shirtless and braless at night, it just seems the right way to do it. We keep a towel under us!

Remember Skin to Skin contact is Great for all humans! It creates intimacy. Think how good it feels to be naked next to your partner. Or how good it feels to massage or to be massaged. It's calming, relaxing, and stimulating. I know I feel safe, warm, secure, and loved during skin to skin contact.

An easy way to wake a sleepy newborn is to use skin to skin contact. Babies love to be touched and rubbed even when they are no longer newborns. The baby may even sleep better with skin to skin contact. My pre-schooler still loves to be massaged after a bath. And he loves to put *goo* (cream or lotion) on mommy's feet or pregnant belly. He loves to make Mommy feel good!

A sling or something like a moby wrap may help with a transition from sitting and nursing to moving around the house, and doing things like going potty, rehydrating or getting something to eat without waking the baby or freezing. You can wrap baby on then put on a front opening shirt or sweater over the both of you, and then you can wrap in a warm blankie.

-MamaTay