Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green foul diapers

Red face Green foul diapers

I am working with OALD and an oversupply issue. I think my supply is on target now and my dd is feeding slower and generally happier. She still occasionally arches her back and screams at my breasts while feeding but her frustration is becoming more infrequent. - I think we have been nursing well for ~6days. I am only concerned because she is still spitting up curds of milk after every feeding and still has frothy green foul diapers (1/~3days) Her diapers were normal until about 4 weeks. She is now 8wks. I am waiting anxiously for yellow poop to return. How long should this take? I can be very patient - I just want to be sure that my OALD and oversupply is what is causing her discomfort.

As a precaution I am also off dairy just to be sure she doesn't have a cows milk allergy.

Thanks anyone who can help!

Default Re: Green foul diapers

It can take a couple of weeks for block feeding to change baby's stools. If you are having an easier time nursing, the nice yellow poo should soon follow.

That being said, it would be a good idea to look into possible allergies to something in your diet if the green poo and discomfort persist. Dairy is the most common allergen, but their are others (wheat, corn, eggs, soy, nuts, and citrus are common). Have you checked out the allergies forum?

You should also be aware that there is a lot of hidden dairy in common packaged foods. When reading labels, beware of products that contain whey, casein, and sodium caseinate. These are all dairy in disguise.

HTH,

Tiana

Yes, I have checked the allergy forums too. I am eating mostly brown rice, fresh fruit and fresh veg. Thanks for your help!

I was just reading this forum and notice you talking about Green poop. I did not realize that green poop was abnormal because all the books I have read say the only color poop to be concerned about it black. My 7 week LO have lots of green poops lately. Is there something I should be concerned about? I do have a oversupply of milk.

Green poop isn't a concern in itself... my concern is that the green poop is liquid, mucousy, foul, and painful for my dd. This can happen with oversupply when the foremilk races through the stomach without being completely digested causing the milk to be fermented in the intestines. I am just anxious for her poop to return to its normal yellow- to indicate to me that I have solved our problem.