Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I Want To Know More!!

Question I Want To Know More!!

I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT ONLY BREASTFEEDING MY BABY UNTIL SHE IS READY FOR TABLE FOOD??? I did not know anything about that- what are the pros and cons if there are any and how do you know that is right for your baby?? I am very interesed- none of my "mom books" has said anything about this. I would like to hear from some moms that do this-

Thank you!!

Default Re: I Want To Know More!!

There are no cons that I can think of. Pros include less mess, less time consuming and more satisfaction, I think anyhow.

Other than that, what else would you like to know about this practice? It's quite common, actually. And if you think about it, it really makes a lot of sense. Babies should get the vast majority of calories from breastmilk for the first full year of life. Solid foods in the first year of life are for experimental purposes only and expose baby to a variety of textures. Just like babies crawl, walk and sleep through the night when they are ready, doesn't it make sense to allow them to eat solid foods once they can do it for themselves?

Also, there are huge benefits to delaying solid foods. This isn't from an approved LLL source but it has good info nonetheless -- Why Delay Solids?

That said, if you feel your baby is developmentally ready for solid foods (and by solids, I mean pureed foods) that you spoon-feed him at say, 7 months old then that is okay too

Default Re: I Want To Know More!!

I like that link its a good one.
    WE did this with my last 3 kids..
    I just delayed, and skipped baby cereal all together.
    The older the baby the better for thier tummy!
    I like to think about babies in poor countries, they aren't eating jars and jars of gerber baby food. And the mothers babies are spaced longer than 2 years apart. As soon as my kids got teeth about 9-11 months I started with ground turkey and other meats. We don't have food alergies so I wasn't real carefull about intoducing stuff. If we did have food alergies I would have been more carefull about introducing foods.
    once the were a year old they were pretty much eating table foods.
    and still nursing maybe 2 times a day plus naps and bedtime.