Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tongue rolled up, latch problems, low milk supply! :(

Default Re: Tongue rolled up, latch problems, low milk supply! :(

Yes I still feel engorged sometimes after the baby nursed and the pumping did relieve that. I tried to look whether the baby is transferring milk - sometimes he is, because when I pull back, I can see milk in his lips. But the baby is usually sucking like 5-7 times and pulls off the nipple when he doesn't get the milk in fast. Do you think he's one particular impatient babe? Is this reaction common? The milk supply doesn't seem to be flowing all the time so that makes him impatient.
    It could be that he is impatient, or it could be that he's having some trouble getting the milk out. As the PP's suggested, tongue-tie is one issue that can cause problems with transfer of milk. Check out the links provided in the pp. Here are some other things you can try as well: Before putting baby to the breast, pump just a little milk to trigger your let down. This make make the milk more readily available, and may soften the breast a bit and make it easier to latch. You can also try breast compressions while the baby is nursing. Here is a link that explains compressions: http://www.bflrc.com/newman/handouts...ompression.htm

Sometimes after nursing, I'm still feeding him 50ml of expressed milk by cup. He has about 6 wet diapers and 1-2 dirty diapers in 24 hours.
    Ok, so it sounds like he is getting some milk from you but still needs a substantial amount of supplement. How many feedings are you getting in in 24 hours? Do you have a weight check scheduled, or did the LC weigh the baby?

It's pretty discouraging to keep nursing and then feeding him again.
    Yes, the feeding then pumping and supplementing routine can be very draining. Do you have anyone to help you out with other things so that you can just focus on the baby? I know while you are going through it, it seems like a very long time. But, your baby is still very new. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it can take awhile to get everything worked out. Hang in there-- you are doing a great job!

I'll have to try find time to see the LC again soon.
    Yes, I think this is the best course of action. The LC can talk to you about tongue-tie or see if maybe there is any other reason that he may be having trouble transferring milk. Keep us posted!

I did ask the LC if he had a tongue tied problem, but she said no. I did see him sticking out his tongue a couple times when he wants to feed so I don't think this was the problem. He is possibly impatient?

How can I be sure if he is swallowing? And how can I ensure that he does latch on longer than 5-7 sucks?

To check for swallowing, watch your baby's sucking pattern. If he is drinking milk, you will see his whole lower jaw move in a rhythmic motion. Very often you can hear swallowing (or the puff of air that comes from a breath after each swallow). Some babies are very quiet, though. I tried to find a good video to link, but I couldn't find any. Do you have a local LLL group? An LLL leader can watch baby nurse and tell you how to look for swallowing. The IBCLC can help you with that as well. The LC can also weigh the baby before and after a feed to see how much he's able to take. You can try the suggestions I listed in the previous post (pump a bit before nursing and use breast compressions) to try and keep baby latched. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest getting back in touch with the LC or an LLL leader. It may be that baby isn't getting enough breast in his mouth when he latches, or isn't sucking effectively enough.