Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacifier?

Default Pacifier?

I have heard that I you shouldn't give a breastfed baby a pacifier because it causes nipple confusion. My son CONSTANTLY wants to BF and most of the time it is comfort sucking. I was wondering if anyone here gives their baby a pacifer and could tell me your experience.

Default Re: Pacifier?

I started giving my DD a pacifier at around 2 weeks for the same reason you're describing. She's almost 11 months now and we never had a problem. She's still happily nursing. Everyone has a different opinion on pacifiers, but that's been our experience.

I have heard of babies developing nipple confusion after being given a pacifier. For that reason, we waited to give DD a pacifier until she was about 6 weeks old and nursing was well established. We only used it when we were out and knew she was just fussing and not really hungry (and we couldn't get to a not so public location for me to nurse her) or when I just needed a break from the comfort nursing to go to the bathroom or have a quick meal. Thankfully she's had no nipple confusion at all, she'll be four months on the 20th.

Congrats on your new addition!!

Amber

Here's a good article on pacifier use:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec95p172.html

I would caution you to be verrrry careful with it--in the early days the baby spends a lot of time at the breast, and it's OKAY to let the baby comfort suck. It helps establish supply and strengthens the bond between mommy and baby!

Enjoy!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Congratulation on your new baby!! I'll recommend to wait a few weeks before introducing the pacifier, not so much for the nipple confusion, but because you need the extra suckling to establish a good milk supply (not saying that you won't get a good one if you decide to give it to him, the pacifier isn't the only deciding factor). Save the pacifiers for emergencies only, like when you are driving or you can't give him the breast right away. Also both of you will benefit from the extra suckling. The baby will have an ample milk supply and more mommy and me time. You won't have to be picking and washing the pacifiers every five minutes and is one less habit to break when he gets older, also the amount of suckling you get is probably the most important factor to achieve lactational amenorrhea (another benefit of breastfeeding that I love )

There are def. differing opinions in regards to pacifiers! And you have to remember that all babies are different and will react in unique ways to everything! My dd has used a pacifier since day one and we never had problems with her confusing it with the breast (she knew that no milk came out of the paci!!) As a matter of fact--we had more problems getting her to take a bottle than I expected, esp. with the use of the pacifier. She is 4 mo on Friday and still prefers the breast for feeding, although most of her comfort sucking is from the paci. I guess you need to decide if you want her comfort sucking you or the pacifier. I have had problems with milk supply on and off, but I have been using different medications and I am a firm believer that that was the problems and not the pacifier--b/c when I quit the meds my supply went back up!!!

HTH

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hi,
    I also have a new baby named Evan, he's 3 1/2 weeks. In the hospital the nurses noticed that he wanted to nurse constantly, while also observing my cracked nipples (they healed within a couple of days). So they suggested we introduce a pacifier, and he's used it fine since. He continues to breastfeed just fine, and will sometimes use a pacifier if he's fussy. It hasn't caused us any problems, and at the same time he isn't dependent on it. Good luck.
    TriciaO
    Wisconsin

My son is currently 7 months old, and he had a pacifier before the breast. It was only because he was a NICU baby, and he was not allowed to eat. I felt bad because he kept trying to suck the tube that was sticking out of his mouth. (tube went into his belly to remove excess air, he was on O2) There was some nipple confusion, but we quickly got past it. He has now in the last week started refusing his picifier, and I honestly thought it was going to be hard to wean him from it (I was going to try after he was about 2!) My opinion is to try and wait, comfort nursing and the baby constantly at the breast 24/7 in the beginning is normal. If you do use it and notice a change, stop the pacifier and work really hard on the breastfeeding!

Good luck!

My daughter is now 8 weeks old, and has had a pacifier from day 1. My other two daughters were the same way. I've never had any problem with nipple confusion, but I'm sure every baby is different. As a matter of fact, when I try and give my baby the paci when she is hungry, she screams at me and sticks her tongue in the way and makes it abundantly clear that the paci is NOT what she wants!! I guess you just have to do what works for you, as everyones needs and wants are different.

My dd is 6 weeks and we also give her the paci to satisfy her sucking need...And like Jenny, when she's hungry we can tell the difference. We use it primarily to help calm her down. Right now, she doesn't seem dependent on it and we always take it out of her mouth when she is in a deep sleep.
    She nurses efficiently and has not shown any signs of nipple confusion.