Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: foremilk/hindmilk & fussiness??

Default foremilk/hindmilk & fussiness??

hello. i am nursing my second child (6wks old) and she is incredibly fussy all day long. she sleeps just fine, but cries while awake. i have yet to see her be calm and content after a feeding. my son, after he ate, would have that far away look and be very content and sleepy. my daughter has only done that twice...i fed her, she cried and fussed, burped and was quiet for a few seconds. handed her off to husband thinking was she was done and started to pump. within a few minutes, she was hysterical, so i thought she still might be hungry. she nursed on the same breast i has pumped. after 7 mins, she pulled off and was totally fine. i can't offer her the other breast during one sitting b/c she projectile vomites within a minute of nursing on the other side.

so, could she be sensitive to the foremilk and need more hindmilk for fullness and non-fussiness? if anyone has any experience or advice, i'd love to hear it

Default Re: foremilk/hindmilk & fussiness??

Is she fussy right after your milk lets down, maybe coughing or gulping rapidly then needing to burp right away? If so you could have OALD and maybe too much milk. By pumping first the rush of milk goes into the bottle and by the time she nurses it's at an easier to manage flow. If you think that's the problem taking steps to decrease your milk supply and help her deal with OALD should help within a week or two.

I already tried this. It didn't make a difference. She still fussed...she fusses all day pretty much. It's very hard to figure out a pattern yet...

Does she have any other signs of too much foremilk- such as green stools instead of orange or yellow?

You must be under soooo much stress right now, and you're sticking with it, which is wonderful. I'm sure you'll be getting plenty more suggestions to try, but just wanted to say you're doing a good job, you'll figure out what's going on soon, or she'll fix it herself, in my limited experience most of these things seem to require time and A LOT of patience.