Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: should i cut out a pumping session?

Default should i cut out a pumping session?

My son is about 8 weeks old and I have been backto work for 2 weeks. I am pumping about 20 oz while at work. I nurse from one side in the am and pump the other side which is about 4 - 6 oz. I send that EBM to the sitters. What I have pumped from friday to sunday, because of feeling the need to, lasts my son all week. So everything I pump at work is frozen. I have 4 grocery bags full of frozen milk in my deep freezer. A part of me is frustrated with the fact that my son doesn't eat as much at the sitters as he does at home. And I am frustrated that I am running out of freezer room. I am going to talk to the family dr. tomorrow about donating my milk.

I have been pumping about every 2 to 3 hours at work because by hour 3 I am feeling rather full.
    I guess I am just wondering what could be best for my son and myself. I never had this problem with my first. I had dried up by 4 months and quit nursing.

I hope I made sense.

~Emily

Default Re: should i cut out a pumping session?

Congratulations on your baby and for working so hard to continue to nurse and feed this way while you return to work! For what it's worth, I had a similar situation when I returned to work when DS was about 15 or so weeks old. At that point I probably had about 100+ bags of milk in the deep freeze and as he didn't eat as much with the nanny as he did with me, that kept building and building... eventually, the deep freeze was FULL with 200+ and I, too, was going to look into donating. I didn't go that route, however and I'm glad because things changed.... At some point, DS ramped up his eating with the nanny and my supply has gradually started to drop with stress and lesser daily demand. DS is just over a year now and still drinking EBM during the day (and nurses before bed and naps when I'm home and also during the night) - and without the huge supply in the freezer, we'd not be able to do this as my supply of pumped-at-work milk - which used to be 18-24 ounces per day, is barely 4-5 per day now.
    If you are feeling full, I'd probably not try to ramp down your pumping while away from baby quite yet. But I'd probably skip pumping the side baby isn't eating while you feed since you don't need that much and don't need your body to think you do.
    Just my experience....things may change, so maybe best not to toss your supply quite yet?
    best wishes,
    Jsmom

So, you're pumping while you and baby are together on weekends, and in the morning, in addition to nursing? To make life easier on yourself, you can probably stop at least some of those pumpings. However, if you can, continue pumping at work, to maintain your supply on the weekends.

Your baby is still very young, and things can change.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

The only real time i pump while ds and i are together is at about 2 am, and that is only the side he doesn't take and if i go till the next time he wakes up i hurt really bad, and only when I am starting to hurt. Other than that i don't pump while we are together.

Then maybe you can drop one of those pumpings at work. Make the first one of the day a little later, and add a few minutes to the time you usually wait in between pumpings.

It will take a few days, or longer, for your body to become used to the new schedule, so be patient, and listen to signals your body is sending you. If you become overfull and uncomfortable, you can pump just to relieve the fullness, but not so much that you're making your body think that it's a full feeding.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!