Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help, returning to work.

Default Need help, returning to work.

I need some advice. I'm about to return to work in May and my mother will be watching my daughter who is currently 7 weeks old. I am trying to get her to start taking ebm from a bottle so that my mother can feed her during the day, but my daughter doesn't want to take it. She pushes the nipple of the bottle either to the sides of her mouth or pushes it out with her tongue. Then of course she'll cry because she's hungry. How do I get her to take the bottle? In the beginning, she has taken a bottle when daddy and I had to go to the market but it seems that she has gotten use to the breast doesn't want it anymore. Help!!! I don't know what to do. How have you guys done it?

Default Re: Need help, returning to work.

Have you experimented with a variety of nipples/bottles? The first bottle DS took (except when he was in thie NICU after emergency surgery at 3wks; long story) was an Avent. I had my best friend/super-star mommy give that. It worked, but wasn't easy. Then DS would not take avent from DH or anyone else! We tried NUK and that has worked really well for him. Occasionally we try the avents again since we did buy several and they were costly... but baby sure prefers NUK and doesn't refuse those. Just anectodal info, but probably worth trying a few different nipples? Baby's are not shy about telling us what they don't like and what they do!
    good luck...be kind to yourself....returning to work is tough....good for you that your mom is around to help!
    Jsmom

My DD was 5 months when I went back to work. She had taken a bottle just fine before that, but suddenly decided not to when she figured out what was going on. I did figure out that she doesn't like frozen milk, so if you're using that maybe start with fresh to get her used to the bottle. Try different nipples too. Make sure you're not anywhere around when someone tries to feed the baby, mine could always tell when I was even on the same floor of the house and refuse the bottle. In a worst case scenario, your mom could always start giving milk with a medicine dropper or spoon to see if she can get the baby to take some so you're not too worried. It took a week or so with the sitter before she'd go back to the bottle really. She never did have as much milk as I thought she would if she were nursing, but it was enough to get her thru the day. She still nurses more at night to make up the difference.

Good luck going back to work, it'll be hard, I'm sure! But nothing is as good as seeing that smiling face at the end of the day!

Hi piilani_girl,
    Congratulations on your daughter! I'm sure you are very worried as you think about going back to work and your dd not taking a bottle. You are not alone! Perhaps as it gets closer to your start time, you could take a "trial run" and plan to be away for only a short time? Will your daughter and mother be close by to where you work? Would your employer allow you to take some breaks or start with shorter days if needed as everyone adjusts to the new schedule/taking a bottle? Sometimes mothers start back to work on a Wednesday in order for that first week back to be less intense.

Maybe you can find something helpful in these articles below.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec02p218.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBSeptOct94p152.html

Below are some of the basic ideas about introducing the bottle. You may have already tried some of them. The last one is very important - keep trying but there are other ways to feed the baby, too.
    I hope this helps!
    Warmly,
    Mary

*Try offering the bottle before the baby is likely to be very hungry, before his "usual" feeding time - when he starts to root or suck fingers, crying is a late cue of hunger.
    *Hold the baby lovingly while giving the bottle - seems obvious, but if the adult is frustrated or in a hurry about it, the baby may sense the tension, and refuse
    *Instead of pushing the bottle nipple into the baby's mouth, try laying it near his mouth and allow him to pull it in herself, or tickle the baby's mouth with nipple as many mothers do with the breast.
    *Try running warm water over the bottle nipple to bring it to room temp
    *Try different types of bottle nipples
    *Try to feed the baby while moving rhythmically - rocking, swaying, or walking, or even riding in a car seat
    *Insert the bottle nipple into the baby's mouth when he's sleeping
    *Keep trying, but remember that the baby can be fed mother's milk using other feeding methods, such as cup, spoon, or eyedropper, if the baby continues to refuse the bottle.