Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extended BF and CoSleeping

Default Extended BF and CoSleeping

This is my first post- here goes!
    My son is 11 months and he has slept in my bed since we came home from the hospital. It has been a great experience thus far. He BFs to go to sleep, about 3 times at night and in the morning before I go to work. He recently discovered that he can get off the bed, and now everytime he wakes up, even just partially wakes up, its like he remembers that he can get down, thus waking him up all the way. Well, it turns into a huge ordeal because then he's awake, wants to play, doesn't want to sleep (you get the picture). But because he's never slept anywhere else, he won't go into the crib (even though it's right next to my bed).
    I guess I've always kept him in the bed becauseit felt right. And not that it doesn't feel right now, it has just become more of a challenge. How do I get him to stay in the bed?!?! I'm sure I'm not the only one- advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    ~Mari

Default Re: Extended BF and CoSleeping

We went through this. When we went to bed, we made sure the bedroom door was closed so he couldn't open it and get out to another part of the house where he might get hurt. Then when he got up, my husband and I pretended that we were both asleep. We didn't respond to him. The lights were still out. He would come over and try to get us up to play. He would touch our faces and sometimes be really frustrated that we wouldn't get up with him. He did this every night for about a week. Maybe a little longer. But we were always consistent. When he came back to bed, I would just nurse him to sleep. He eventually stopped doing it and has never done it since.

-Lauren

My son is still in our bed 1/2 the night at 2.6. Sometimes he gets up super early and like our friend in the previouse post I stay 'asleep' keep the door closed, bedroom kid friendly and once in a while turn on Sesame St. Eventualy he wants to nurse again and sometimes goes back to sleep, sometimes is up for good. I'll stay in bed so desparatly wanting sleep while he's like climbing on me and sitting on my head! I think I've resigned myself to less sleep in general-sorry I wasn't much help.

I've coslept with 3 babies and I've never run into that situation but I just wanted to say welcome to our forum and that this sounds like a phase that will pass. If it were me I would pretend to be asleep and eventually he'd get bored in a dark room in the middle of the night. For some unknown reason my lo was up at 4:30 this morning and trying to do acrobatic nursing (he's 20 months) - man that hurt.

Laura