Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My baby's a wiggle worm!

Default My baby's a wiggle worm!

Some days, it seems like my DS wiggles his way all through a feeding. He'll often pop off or I'll need to take him off (if I want to save my boob from being torn away). Funny thing is that once he's off, he'll root again. He seems eager to latch, but then wiggles again. Any advice on what this could be? He is 13 weeks, 5 days.

Default Re: My baby's a wiggle worm!

My baby is 10 months old and has been a wiggly worm since he was born. I guess it is just his personality Nursing him when he is very hungry works a bit in terms of decreasing the wiggling at least for the first couple of minutes.

Some women have had luck swaddling their baby before nursing to keep the wiggling to a minimum.

Do you feel like he's getting enough? How's his diaper output?

Could it be over-active let down (OALD)? Does milk spray out when he pops off?

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

My daughter is almost nine months old and she's a wiggle worm, too! She's been very curious from a young age, too. What helps me get her to settle down and nurse is to minimize distractions. The side-lying position in bed is great for helping her to settle down -- most of the time, at least! Are you worried about him getting enough? I really understand your frustration!

My LO went through stages with this. Sometimes she was wiggling and popping off and all over the place and other times she is the most focused nurser you can imagine. There was a stage when she was getting REALLY social when she would rarely ever get enough to eat because she was always popping off to chat with me. I hope he settles down for you soon!
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

My LO is 12 weeks old and since 8 weeks she has started to poo only once or twice a week. I can tell which are going to be "poo days" because she is really wriggly when she nurses! It can be painful though, and sometimes she pulls really hard. Also, she sometimes wiggles more when she needs to burp. If she is struggling too hard and it hurts me, I just gently take her off the breast and hold her upright for a few seconds until she calms down a bit. Sometimes it takes a few goes, but it normally works in the end and she settles down to a nice feed.

And when she is really bad, I use lots of nipple cream to soothe the pain

Prolly gas or poop-- or both. My lo does the same thing when he has gas in his stomach or is trying to push something out. Or I'll be in the middle of nursing him and all of a sudden it all comes gushing...

Totally normal. Albeit frustrating.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

My LO does the same when my breast gets to the empty point...then I switch him to the other side.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

my lo des this too but because he is distracted at everything around him i just ordered a nursing necklace and hopefully that will calm him down a bit?

Thank you all for your responses. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one. Yes, he's gaining weight very well (9 - 12 oz a week, not too much for him because he's at the 90th %ile lt/age). I'm not sure if I have OALD; sometimes he seems to need to gulp faster at some feeds than others. If he does this, I'll unlatch him and let the drips fall (I've only "sprayed" once).

He used to just wiggle when I came home from work; I figured he just missed me and was all wound up. Now, it's about 3 feedings a day that he acts this way. I wonder if it's a growth spurt now?

I'll definitely try the suggestions you ladies gave. Thank you!