Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: co-sleeping question

Default co-sleeping question

Hi all,
    My 6 week old usually sleeps in a bassinet beside our bed, and he wakes up about every 3 hours during the night to be fed. However, when my husband has 3rd shift I sometimes pull him into bed with me to make night nursing easier. My question is this: when he is sleeping beside me it is like he has been drugged or something! He normally wakes up every 3 hours, but when in our bed he sleeps a lot longer. The other night it was 5 hours; I was pretty freaked out when I woke up and realized how long we had been asleep. He seems fine otherwise, so I'm not too worried, but I was wondering if this is a common phenomenon?
    Thanks!

Default Re: co-sleeping question

Actually, it is just the opposite with me. I have always co-slept with my lo, but not fed her lying down. At about 6 weeks old, I started nursing my lo in the bed. At that point she was sleeping 6 hours, waking, nursing, sleep 3 more hours. When I started nursing her in the bed, she stared waking every 1-3 hours to nurse. She still does this and she is nine months old. So consider yourself lucky.

babies usually do sleep better and longer when they are beside their mommas. That's why I co-sleep. More sleep for all!

I'm glad to see someone else has had this same experience. I had just gotten my DS to start sleeping in his crib this week, and he would sleep for about 2 hours before waking to nurse. Then last night he seemed to need more comfort, so I let him co-sleep again, and he slept for 5 hours, not just once, but for 2 stretches. I was worried, but nothing seems to be wrong. I guess some babies just sleep more deeply knowing Mommy is close.

This is why DD sleeps in bed with us. She was been sleeping through the night since 2 months! If I put her in her crib (which is right next to my bed) she wakes at least every 2 hours. Infact, she will only fall sleep snuggled up to me. Last night I kept trying to sneak away & she kept scooting over to find me. But yes, mine sleeps a lot more when co-sleeping.

Enjoy the sleep!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

That was one of the reasons we started co-sleeping. We went on a vacation when DS was 2 weeks old and he refused to sleep in the bassinet we had there, at home he slept in it no problem but was up every 2-3 hours, once he started co-sleeping he'd sleep about 6 hours at a time! Now he takes about a 4 hr nap from 8-12 at night then we do the diaper changing and feed ihm and he sleeps until 5:45-6 am then sleeps again until 8:30-9 when we get up...well when we usually get up!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

It's why I co-slept too. Never planned on it, but it was a magic bullet for sleep. Actually, it started in the hospital when I couldn't sleep without touching her... but apparently the feeling was mutual because without physical contact, she just woke and woke.. even at nap time. I fought it tooth and nail, but now I have such fond memories of cuddling with her... not that it's over. She's three now and sometimes when she's having a rough night, I go into HER bed and sleep with her. She still prefers to be close. Me too.

I co sleep and my baby girl sleeps much better. When she was 2 dats old I put her in her bassinet and she HATED it. I put her to bed with me and she slept good. She will also make sure I haven't left her side, I will see her little legs and arms moving to see if I am there or not. I love co sleeping with her, nothing like waking up and seeing my baby grining from ear to ear at me

That's the reason that I coslept too. I didn't really plan on it either. In fact I was very against the idea to be honest (my husband was all for it), but once I figured out that was the best way to get some sleep, it kind of became plain to me that maybe I was being too closeminded.

My son was an every hour feeder for the first 3 weeks or so. He was just a bottomless pit. He did finally extend his times, but even then the longest he would go sleeping alone was 2 hours. When he started cosleeping with me on a regular basis at 4 months he started sleeping like 5 hours at stretch right away. I think that its just knowing mom is close is comforting. I mean in all honesty I sleep far better snuggled in with DH and DS than alone too. DS is 20 months now and even though he starts out his nights in his crib, I still bring him to our bed around his 4:00 feeding... I love getting those sweet little good morning kisses from him. So cute!

My son sleeps better next to me, also. He sleeps like ca ca anywhere so there is more than one reason we co-sleep. You are lucky to have a good sleeper. My son is nearing six months and he's only slept five hours twice in his life. Oh well. Couldn't do it if I had to get up and out of bed!