Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long for pumping session

Default how long for pumping session

Hi
    I'm still trying to increase my milk supply so, I was just wondering how long I should pump for. Should I wait until there is barley anything coming out or is 20-30 minutes enough. I get most of the milk out the first 10-15mins, but pump for 45min hoping more will come out but there isn't much after. I also heard that you produce milk every hour. is that true. would you pump for 15 mins every hour instead. I've also heard of women getting 2 letdowns in 1 pumping session. How long would they be pumping for that.

Default Re: how long for pumping session

I have Another question. Why is it that I don't have a lot for foremilk, which I believe is the watery milk. It's mostly hindmilk. Could that be the reason my LO will cry when I put him at the breast. There is not enough quencher.

Hi there --

It should be adequate to pump for 15-20 minutes -- you will probably get at least 2 let downs during that period. It is not true that you produce milk every hour -- you are continuously producing milk! You may want to try to pump for 15-20 minutes every 2 hours.

Foremilk/hindmilk is a bit difficult to describe but I've found this to be a great descriptor: (not an approved LLL source) I'm confused about foremilk and hindmilk - how does this work? If you are pumping frequently then it would stand to reason that there would be more foremilk available throughout the pumping session. I highly doubt that the balance of foremilk/hindmilk has anything to do with your baby's resistance to the breast.

Can you feel your milk letting down? If so, how soon into a nursing session or pumping session does it happen? If it happens later rather than sooner and your baby is getting bottles he could be fussing at the breast because he's learned that it's easier/faster to get milk out of a bottle than out of a breast.

HTH! Keep up the good work!

Hi Thanks for the information. As fare as my letdown it used to be very fast and quick to happen, it was maybe 10-15 seconds and would leak on the other side. But now it takes a bit longer and they are not as intense as before, I don't feel tingly anymore. I know it is happening because I can hear the baby swallow, and when I pump, I can see it quicker but doesn't last too long. Altough I'm using less supplement than before. Which is a sign of improvement. Now that my son drinks alot, I'm not sure if I can ever get to his level. But he'll be starting solids soon, so should even out by then.

Hey there, just wanted to let you know, when I pump I rarely have time to do it for more than 10 minutes at a time, and on the few occasions I've had more time, I never get multiple letdowns. At least, not like I was expecting. I continue to pump after the milk has stopped flowing for 3-4 minutes, but no more comes out.

Hi, it seems to be the same for me, vary rare will I get 2 letdowns. I'm still trying to increase my milk supply, and not getting fast results. I've reduced the pumping to 3 times/day for 15-20 mins. At 5 times/day, I felt like a slave to the pump and no time for my DS and nothing more was happening. I can pump more now than I did at 5 times/day. I should be receiving "More Milk Plus" supplement today, hope that works. Has anyone used it? How did it work?