Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: severe pain while pumping

Default severe pain while pumping

Hi all,
    I'm using a medela advanced pump. Whenever I start using the pump the flanges when they hit aereola during suction gives me severe pain.I tried bigger shields the only difference i'm noticing is it hits different part of aereola.I have tried the following thing and I was'nt successful..

1)No case of yeast infection
    2)Tried applying olive oil while pumping
    3)Tried different shield size

I'm keeping suction at medium.Anybody has any clue as what maybe the problem ?
    Is it i'm allergic to plastic flanges made by medella.Does anybody has seen problem like this before ?

Please suggest me what else I should do..

TIA
    Mangai

Default Re: severe pain while pumping

How ironic, I just purchased the same exact product THIS MORNING and found this VERY painful. I was using the evenflo single electric which was barely taking 1oz our of me in a thirty minute pumping session, and with this medela, I can get 4 oz. in 10 minutes! But, as you have mentioned, it hurts! The evenflo didn't hurt like this . . . . . .

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

Lisa

Hi ,
    Thanks for u'r reply.I ended up with so much pain that I cant even bf.I was bf for past 12 weeks without any problem.Is that mean we have to keep on trying with this pain ?

Thanks
    Mangai

It feels like a sharp pain, right?

Try the lowest suction and the lowest cycle. Then increase if it's ineffective. Mess with the controls until you find what is most comfortable and effective! You might also consider calling 1-800-TELLYOU (Medela's hotline) for more suggestions.

I'm having pain in aereola where the flages touches it.
    The pain is like when the skin is teared off.I don't know whether maybe my skin is very sensitive.I don't think i'm keeping suction too high.
    I saw some post about Avent manual pump and ppl saying the petals are very soft in them.Do they have different petal size for different nipple size or just the standard 24 ?

I would like to try with that before giving up.May be Medela is not working for me .

Ouch! Lansinoh or olive oil hasn't helped? Be sure to put enough so that your areola is gliding in the shield and not being yanked.

I know Ameda makes a flexible breast shield. Not sure if Medela does. You could call and ask. Also, maybe find out if the Ameda shield is compatable with the Medela pump?

Quote Originally Posted by mangai
    I'm having pain in aereola where the flages touches it.
    The pain is like when the skin is teared off.I don't know whether maybe my skin is very sensitive.I don't think i'm keeping suction too high.
    I saw some post about Avent manual pump and ppl saying the petals are very soft in them.Do they have different petal size for different nipple size or just the standard 24 ?

I would like to try with that before giving up.May be Medela is not working for me .
    I have the Avent IQ Duo. The petals are very soft as they are made of silicone rather than plastic. I havent tried the dual option yet but it is there. I like the IQ because I manually pump until I get a rythmn/speed and a suction strength that is good for me for that particular time/day. Then I press a blue button on the pump and it remembers how I was manually pumping and copies it!

I'm totally depresses.I'm not successful at pumping.
    Evrything failed.I tried Avent manual.I saw milk coming but the standard flange is rubbing my aereola and I found that Avent doesnt make bigger
    flanges.But i was able to see some milk compared to PIS Medela.
    I'm a terrible mom.When evrybody in this world is able to pump and give milk I can't even do that simple job.

Mangai,
    The very fact that you are here and seeking help means you are not a terrible mom!! You are doing the very best you can and that is all that matters. I was having a very woe is me moment yesterday when it dawned on me that my daughter has no idea that I have not been a mother all of my life. To her, I have been!

Looking at the time of your post it seems like maybe you're a little tired, as well as upset. Try and take a little bit of time for yourself, take a walk with baby in the stroller if you can't get out by yourself.

Wish I had advice about your pumping, but just wnated to let you know that there are a lot of people on these boards that will chime in and let you know that you are doing a great job, keep your chin up, the first few months are tough but it gets easier, I promise. We all find our way, the way that will work for us. Hope your feeling better this morning, keep us posted.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...