Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gas question

Default Gas question

My 11 month old is still exclusively breastfed and I was wondering about gas... He seems to go through cycles where he has really bad gas in the middle of the night. He did it last night and in retrospect I did consume more milk products than usual yesterday. Does it happen that fast? He was up every ten minutes for hours. I guess tooting in your sleep is something men don't learn till later.

Janine

Default Re: Gas question

Quote Originally Posted by JMKca
    My 11 month old is still exclusively breastfed and I was wondering about gas... He seems to go through cycles where he has really bad gas in the middle of the night. He did it last night and in retrospect I did consume more milk products than usual yesterday. Does it happen that fast? He was up every ten minutes for hours. I guess tooting in your sleep is something men don't learn till later.

Janine
    By "exclusively breastfed" do you mean your 11 month old has never had anything but breastmilk?? You can do that? You have me interested....

And yes, I am sure your milk intake can effect your baby that soon......

In regards to the other question about exclusively bfing that long, absolutely. Some mom's wait until baby is ready for actual table foods before starting on solids and skip the baby food all together.

but in regards to the gas, yes milk could be the culprit that quickly. Milk is one of the biggest allergies for people in general but especially babies. DS is allergic to milk and spits up, gets gas, and upset tummy when I even have "non-dairy' creamer that has a milk protein in it. Fortunately with my change in eating it is no longer an issue. Also things that are spicy or things like onions, broccoli, beans, etc are big gas and tummy trouble culprits for lots of little ones.

By "exclusively breastfed" do you mean your 11 month old has never had anything but breastmilk?? You can do that? You have me interested....
    Absolutely! As the above poster mentioned, many babies are exclusively breastfed for the first full year of life...and beyond. Some babies simply aren't ready for solid foods in their first year of life or until the end of it (i.e., 10-11 months or later).

To the OP'er, some babies have no issues with dairy proteins if mom ingests them in moderation. But if mom takes in too much then it can affect them. Or it could've just been a fluke too

i bought chamomile and ginger supplements and i take them along with my prenatal vitamin at night and it's helped with dd's gas issues.

Thanks for the replies ladies, I've tried him on solids for about 4 months now but he wants nothing to do with them. I'm in no hurry, he'll eat someday. The chamomile and ginger idea is intriguing though, thanks.

Janine