Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: WE are sick, I think milk is low

Default WE are sick, I think milk is low

I got a cold 2 1/2 weeks ago. It's better but I still have it. I caught something else, and now I have a fever and feel yucky all over. I can barely eat or drink anything. My 8 month old caught the cold 2 weeks ago, he is coughing less often, but still often, he has a flemmy wheezy junky cough that he coughs up mucus and gags on it, a rattley breathing, he is gumpy but does have happy moments. He just got a fever now too, I'm not sure if it's my bug or a secondary infection from the cold. My older 2 kids have the same cold and the same cough but no fever.
    Ok, so that what we have going on the last 2 1/2 weeks.
    Now James has been nursing 2 too 3 times at night again and more often during the day. But his cloth diapers are down to only 5 wets a day and he has lost 1 pd, which is alot bc he is a short, tiney boy. VERY small. I can't SEE the pd he lost very well bc he still looks simular but he lost 1/2 pd in 2 weeks and the the other 1/2 the last 2 days (according to our scale which is just a digital scale that we all use so it might not be the best.)
    I'm really worried that he isn't getting enough BM in and that my supply is suffering bc I've been so sick the past 2 1/2 weeks.
    What can I do to bring it up more and get that pd back on him?
    I will be taking him to the Dr if he is still feverish tomarrow or his cold gets worse tonight.

Default Re: WE are sick, I think milk is low

Have you been to the doctor? Are you drinking enough that your urine is clear?

I'm queazy and having trouble drinking, but trying!
    We haven't been to the dr yet bc this cold is a virus thats "going around". But if James still has a fever tomarrow or gets worse we are taking hime right in. I should get a family discount with 3 sick kids!

can you just stay in bed with him doing nothing but nurse, rest, and drink lots of water? i just had a supply issue and this helped me soooo much. i also have been taking a "lactation tonic" that has the extracts of the same plants you would find in a mother's milk tea.
    my son lost too much weight when he was 1st born and i nursed him every hour (literally!) and he gained over half a pound that day. good luck!

I agree. If you can have a "nurse-in" where you just take the day for you and him in bed and nurse pretty much all day long. Drink any clear liquids (not sodas) that you can like water and herbal teas to help with milk production. Between doing those two you should be good to go. As far as the lingering illness, I would take both of you to the docs just to get checked out and get the all clear.

Thanks! Yesterday we layed around and nursed (too sick to get up much), although I still have to watch 2 other kids too. But yesterday I could barely drink anything as my stomach was so queazy. Today I'm a bit scuzzy feeling, but better then yesterday! I was able to eat some toast and drink milk this morning. We are going to nurse, nurse, nurse today!
    BTW-James's breathing from the cold is better today and he is eating more so far from midnight on, so I'm hoping that he is on the mend now too, but he is soooooooooooooooooooo grumpy!