Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What would you have done?

Default What would you have done?

LONG story short (full version on my blog): We had a home alarm system installed and it took a total of 5.5 hours to get it working. This meant I was alone in my home with 3 kids, including my nursing 1 year old and 2 youngish service men.

My daughter is cutting top teeth and VERY cranky. When she wants to nurse she wants to nurse NOW. I was SO incredibly uncomfortable with these two guys in my house and her wanting to nurse. It is funny, I NEVER have trouble NIP. But when it was just these two guys in my home and I might have to answer questions or test the equipment, I was really uncomfortable. I ended up giving her a little nip in the bathroom so that she would, hopefully, stop fussing long enough to get the installation finished.

I felt like a total idiot nursing in my OWN bathroom, but I did not know what else to do. It was not that I did not trust these guys, they were perfectly friendly, I just did not want to be alone in the house, boobs out nursing, having to answer direct questions or anything.

What would you have done? Would you have been comfortable?
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Default Re: What would you have done?

You know, I completely understand your feelings there. I would have felt the same way. Now I only have one and that can be hard enough, but when there are 2 others you never know when you're going to have to pop up to respond to one of them. I may have simply said to the guys, I need to nurse my baby quickly, if you won't need me for about 10 minutes, i'm going to go up to the bedroom (or something to that affect). Plus, the youngest would have probably been curious and popping her (or his head out) all the time to check out the scene.

That's a tough one. On the one hand it's your house. On the other if you were uncomfortable you should trust your gut and do it in private. I think that's less of a NIP issue and more of a protecting your own privacy issue. I may have done the same or just offered ice cream instead I probably would not have nursed in front of them though.
    Hope that helps!

I had a similar situation with a parade of Sears service techs through my house about a month ago. I had a washing machine on the fritz ( and cloth dipes needing washing to boot!), and I had a dishwasher, garage door opener, and exercise machine due for annual service. So I had a parade of 3 different tech through my house in one day. Of course my ds needed to nurse each time someone new showed up. I was really uncomfortable, even though it was my own home. I think a lot of it was that there were strange men in my home and I felt very vulnerable when I was exposed that way. I can nurse pretty much anywhere- but I just felt vulnerable while they were in my home.

Edit out
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

I didnt read the other posts I just wanted to add what I would have done (and have done) I would have done the same thing as you did. But I also dont have service people here when I am alone - I have a friend or someone else here - always. Even if it's the negihbor across the street... I just feel like, if the service guy thinks he'll case the joint while he's in there, he may be less likely to do so if theres someone else there during the day and he doesnt get the idea that I am home alone .. KIWM???

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.