Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PLEASE HELP!! Baby will NOT take bottle!!

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!! Baby will NOT take bottle!!

My son didn't take a bottle either. What worked for him was when someone else would feed him the bottle, because he is used to me bf him. If he was hungry enough, he'd take a bottle over nothing.

We had the same problem and it was very stressful at first. It took about a week and a half of the same person consistently trying in order for my 6-month old to take the bottle. I tried every nipple on the market and finally she took the old fashioned platex rubber nipple. It did make going back to work more difficult, but I am glad my LO is so attached to the breast. It has helped us to continue nursing despite having to incorporate the bottle. By the way, we have had to go through this transition each time we have changed caregivers (grandmother to daycare). A week or so into it, she just decides to take the bottle. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress over this one too much--they will eat when they are really hungry. Also, they will often make up for doing without when you get home. Hope this helps!

Mom to Sarah Grace
    6 mo./ 20 lbs 11 oz.

Thank you so much for sharing... eventhough she has not successfully taken a bottle yet since 3 weeks ago, it is a relief and it is comforting to know that she eventually will... with time. There's H-O-P-E!!

I have the same problem with my DD not taking the bottle, and that created some stress for me returning to work FT. DD is 10 weeks old now, she's been offered bottle when she's a few day old to help her jaundice, and occasional bottle feed from her grandparents up to week 8. DH tried different nipples and positions.

I had the same problem. My 2 1/2 month old refuded to take the bottle even though she had taken one at 4 weeks. We both got thrush and I stoped all bottles and pumping in order to keep the thrush from thriving. When I tried to reintroduce the bottle she freaked out. It took me a good 4 days of working with her for an hour each day. I tried 2 types of bottles and three types of nipples. Finally we stumbled on one that worked. She downed the bottle no problem and has continued to take it from me and my husband. It is also important to stay calm and relaxed while working with you child. I know that is hard to do, but just keep in mind that it could take many days and hours, but there will eventually be a break through. I do not have to go back to work for a few more months, but I wanted to practice early so she would be ready for when I had to leave her with my husband all day. Keep trying. Your baby is smart enough to figure it out.

My DD is finally eating!! She's a week short of 3 months, and we are feeding her bottles during the day and bf at night. It took GM three days and some screaming and crying while I am at work. We use the Avent 5 oz bottles and she downed 3 oz of milk in less than 5 minutes!! She normally is a slow eater when I bf. I am so happy!!

I know how you feel! That's great! The first days back to work for me were very stressful always wondering if the baby would take the bottle or starve and feeling so guilty about depriving my child of breastfeeding while I work that I cried and cried. It does get easier as time goes on!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09