Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP!! Baby will NOT take bottle!!

Exclamation PLEASE HELP!! Baby will NOT take bottle!!

Please help! I have posted about this issue before, but it is now an URGENT problem, as I will go back to work at the end of next week and my 4.5 month old is STILL refusing the bottle.

I've tried every kind of bottle, every kind of nipple, even the nuby sippy cups. I've given her cold milk, warm milk, even formula. She just screams and screams and screams. Most of the time DH tries while I wait in another room, but she screams when I try, too.

I am at my wits end and don't know how I'll ever be able to go back to work if she will not take a bottle. She has taken one before, when she was about 9-11 weeks old. So I know she knows how to do it. She will also take it when there is apple juice in it, but even then she barely sucks on it.

Up until now we have just kept saying "oh we'll try it another time" and just gone back to bf'ing. But now I HAVE to go back to work and I cannot imagine what my LO will do if she will not drink from a bottle.

Does anybody have any suggestions? We are desparate!!!!

Thank you

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!! Baby will NOT take bottle!!

My ds would never take a bottle from me, only from the hubby. Now that he's 14 months, he will, but at 4.5? No way. Leave the house entirely and let him get good and hungry and then have dh try.

Try a high flow nipple-- low flow may be frustrating. Have you tried latex vs silicone nipples? My guy liked the softer latex kind for a long time.

My guy has also refused bottles @ daycare...went through a stage where he'd get maybe 3 oz over a 9 hour stretch at daycare. I mixed bm into his oatmeal and his fruits and veg for awhile. Also sent water, juice, whatever he would drink.

Have you tried a dropper? I know daycare might not like it, but it would be interesting to see if it works. My ped suggested it.

Good luck and let us know if anything works.

I know what you mean. When Mason was born I wanted to breastfeed, he was 5 weeks premie and could not regulate his suck/swallow/breath and would choke then spitt up everything. He was also jaundice and under bili lights I could not pump anything at the time and we were giving him formula (which he would spit up). Once we got home I still could not get him to latch and we were giving him what I pumped and a little formula in a bottle (only for a couple of weeks). I also had to use a nipple shield for about 2 1/2 months.

We thought because we had introduced the bottle that he would be able to go back and forth. I was having issues with my supply and decided that I wanted to EBF. This would prove to make things hard down the road, to this day he will only chew on the nipple of the bottle but he is able to be entertained by my DH while I work 1 night a week at the hospital.

We have/do try bottle, sippy cups, regular cups, and passy.

Read this from Dr. Sears, it really helped us, hope you find what works for you.
    Last edited by surfinrn&mom2mason; May 4th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.

I am so sorry, I wish I could offer more than support but I never really found a great solution to this problem. I had to put my daughter with a nanny one day a week when she was about the same age and she never really took to the bottle either. We ended up doing the sippy cup, she would take a bit from that, and started some cereal as well. She was hungry the first few times, but she adjusted and figured out what she needed to do to eat when I was not around. hugs and best wishes headed your way.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Do you have a friend that would try to give your baby a bottle?

My ds is almost 9 months old- and he will not take a bottle at all from my dh if I am in the house. Babies can smell you and your milk from as far away as 20 to 50 feet- so if you are still in the house he can smell you- and that's all he's going to want. Leave while your baby is still happy- but stay gone long enough that she will have to eat. Another thought is to take your baby somewhere else and drop her off. If you've got a friend or family member that your baby is comfortable with- take here there before she gets hungry- and take several bottles/nipples with you. Leave before she gets hungry and let the other person give her the bottle.

My ds really fights against the bottle on days when I have to work and he is at home with my dh. But he takes a bottle just fine when my mom has him- kinda like he thinks I'm hiding somewhere at home and just refusing to feed him. My dh has resorted to dribbling milk into his mouth with a syringe until he gets a full feeding in. He did refuse bottles from my mom the first few days he stayed with her- but he eventually figured it out.

did u try the playtex bottles those nipples are really soft was the only one i could get my dd to take....she did like avent nothing else....

I am a new member today and was going to post exactly what you posted- Have you had any luck yet - I have a 8 week old and she will not take the bottle at all either. I have tried everything. Let me know if you find anything works for you. Thanks

Well, here's the update:
    I thought I was doing good enough by not being in the same room when she was trying the bottle. Turns out, as long as I'm not in the HOUSE. she takes it with no problem! Which is a win-win, because then I have a great excuse to get out of the house
    Thanks for all of your tips. Hope this helps, Smile2. Try leaving the house while baby is still taking a nap, sleeping, whatever. Have someone else get her up, change her diaper, etc. Then give her the bottle. Don't come home until she's done!

Good luck

You know, now that you mention it, those were also the ONLY times my daughter took a bottle. I never thought of it before, I always just assumed it was a fluke when someone told me, "Hey! She drank x number of ounces from a bottle!" But now that I think about, on each of those occasions I was actually OUT of my house.

Funny how these babies seem to have mommy radar eh?
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

I too had a problem with DS taking bottle when I had to go back to work, despite the fact that he was having a bottle with no problem here and there since he was 4 weeks old when I needed to be apart from him. One week before I had to return to work fulltime I began to panic as he was refusing the bottle from my husband. I tried everything, different nipples, bottles, etc. I was so frustrated and depressed. On top of that I had people making me feel guilty telling me that I did it to myself since I had nursed him so long (he was 11 weeks old and they considered that a long time...). I finally realized that as long as I was around and in the same house he would not take it. When I was gone he was fine. The first day back at work my mom told me that he refused it at first, but after about 5 minutes he took it, begrudgingly. She always jokes that he took it with an attitude. After 1 day he adjusted and everything has been fine since then. He continues to love nursing when we are together and accept the bottle willingly when we are apart. He is 5 1/2 months now and I have only given him a bottle myself once - last week at church for his Christening (pretty sure everyone at church would have freaked out if i whipped it out ). It was an odd experience for me to give him the bottle!

One piece of advice - we use Second Nature bottles. They have a nipple with multiples holes that is similar to ours. They work really well for us and there has been no nipple confusion whatesoever. Good luck on returning to work and try to remain calm. It was so hard for me to return and leave my son, but I always came to this site just to read all the different posts about woman in the same situation as me to make it through the rough days.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09