Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Working MOM low pumping output

Default Working MOM low pumping output

Help! I would appreciate advice from working moms like me who pump to keep their babies on breast milk. I do not supplement my baby who is 7 months old with formula. He has only received breastmilk, except with the introduction of baby foods 1 1/2 mths ago. Nursing when I am home & pumping has been successfull until recently. About 3 weeks ago my baby had an ear infection. He did not nurse well. He would only nurse on one side and not as long as he should have. He was miserable. After about a week and on an medicine he improved. He is teething. He has two teeth on the bottom and the top is swollen and ready to pop out! He is not sleeping good so I am not sleeping good. Most nights I am lucky if he sleep 3 hours straight. He is nursing at home good on both sides and emptying the breast. But since last week my pumping output has decreased. I was pumping 12-14 oz a day. Yesterday I only got 5 oz! I was in tears!! My breast are sore from pumping to get more milk. I don't feel the let down happen. I don't understand what has chanaged. I do all the suggestions: relax, look at his picture, think of him, massage the breast, express some by hand. I drink loads of water. I have a glass 16 oz, before I pump and after. I eat well and get moderate exercise. I am upset that today while I am at work, for the first time he will get have to get a supplement bottle of formula. We used up all the extra stored milk a few months ago when I had a sinus infection. I am at a lost. Please help!

Worried mom

Default Re: Working MOM low pumping output

I had a similar experience - almost exactly. My daughter got an ear infection and was getting her top teeth (she got all four front teeth in 2 weeks!!). My milk supply dropped for a while. I just focused on getting her to feed more often on the weekends. It took a bit but my supply came back. That was in January when she was 8 months old. Now that she is 11 months and I am almost done pumping - she doesn't drink very much milk at daycare anymore. She prefers the breast over the bottle.

Good Luck and hang in there!!

I had a similar drop at around 7 MOs, though no sickness/teething along with it. I used to get 12 to 16 oz a day now I only get 8, and that's pushing it. DD is now 10 MO and since my supply dropped, that's all she gets while I'm away. She started nursing a little more while I'm home, even overnight, so I think she makes up for it just fine. I have a bit frozen, so every now and then she'll seem like she wants a bit more and the sitter can defrost and give it to her, so I'm lucky to still have some in the freezer. Otherwise, sometimes I pump between feeds on the weekends to get maybe an extra fresh emergency bottle. If you can get your sitter/daycare to maybe give an extra snack in the day that might help offset the need for milk that you're not pumping.

FWIW, after a few days with almost no milk back when I had the big dip in supply, it did come back up some. Just never to where it had been previously.

Thanks For Some Helpfull Advice! Yesterday At The Sitter She Didn't Give Him Formula. She Gave Him A Little More Juice To Hold Him Off, Then Gave Him The Last Of The Milk At 2:30. I Get To Him About 5:30 And He Nursed Good. I Noticed My Breast Where Very Full About 9pm. And He Nursed Good. I Worry If This Is A Normal Change? For Max To Take Less Milk During The Day And Nurses More At Night?

Worried Mom

It's called "reverse cycling" when they nurse less during the day and more at night. It's just like when they sleep longer at night and don't eat, except it's during the day. If you can deal with a bit more overnight nursing, it's not that difficult. IN fact it makes it a little easier for me when pumping because I know if I don't get much during the day, she'll make up for it at night. You guys will find a rhythm soon. Try not to sweat it!!!