Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Schedule

Default Creating a Schedule

I am going back to work in 9 days and I have yet to figure out a schedule for my baby. He is now 8 weeks. He will not go to sleep without me and will not sleep in his crib ever since I tried the "nursing in" to establish supply and try to get him to exclusively BF. (btw, it didnt work, I actually have a low supply and supplement). I would like to have him on some type of schedule so that our mornings go as smoothly as possible. He tends to eat every 3 hours still but then some days and nights he will be random and eat every 2 or every 4-5!

Does anyone have any suggestions so that my first week isn't any worse than it is going to be anyway.

And does anyone have any suggestions on how to survive the day without him when we have been inseperable since he was born? I cry every day thinking about it.

Thanks!

Default Re: Creating a Schedule

I don't have any suggestions for you, although the Baby Whisperer book really helped me establish a routine (not a schedule).....but I would love to hear how other moms dealt with going back to work.. My DD is three months now and I will be going back to work when she is six months...still 3 whole months away but tears are rolling down my cheeks just writing about it now! How doyou cope??? We have no other choice as DH doesn't get health insurance fromhis job so I have to work in order for us to have coverage.....uggh.....

I know that for us, 8 wks. was way too soon to create a schedule. I did not have to go back to work, so I just revolved around her schedule, but I know that's not an option for you. It's hard when you are exlusively bf to create a schedule, but since you have already started to supplement, that should make it a little easier for timing formula feedings.

With #2, I'm planning to start trying our schedule at around 6 mos. instead of 12 mos. like I did with #1. I will still be nursing on demand though; it's more of a routine....then they kind of set their own schedule.

As for the heartache, I don't think there's a cure for that. One day at a time, that's all you can do.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I am glad to have someone to commiserate with; my son will be 6 weeks old Monday, and I am going back to work in two weeks. We have been trying to figure out how to establish some kind of predictability, if for no other reason than to have some idea how much I will need to leave (I'm breastfeeding exclusively and will be pumping during the day). I am also so sad at the thought of leaving him--heartbreak was the perfect way of putting it--not to mention completely baffled by how I will manage the logistics of getting up and getting ready in addition to (hopefully) feeding him before I leave. Any suggestions are welcome!

I feel your pain too! My DS is almost 6 wks and I'll be going back to work in 2 wks. Forget routine...I'm worried about being able to pump enough between now and then so he'll have enough while I'm gone! And I don't even want to start talking about heartache! I'm also up for any and all suggestions.

I have been back at work for a month now. My little one is 13 weeks, 3 days right now. I had the same concerns you did before I went back. My son has somewhat fallen into a schedule. He’ll fall asleep after his feeding around 10 p.m. and sleeps until 2 or 3 a.m. Then, I’ll feed him again and he’s good until about 6 - 7 a.m. If he hasn’t woken up on his own by 7 a.m., I’ll gently wake him up. I’ll feed him and hold him until the last minute that I need to go off to work. Then, I pump around 9:30 – 10 a.m. at work. Come home for lunch and feed him while I eat. I pump again around 2:30 – 3 p.m. at work. Then, feed him when I get back around 5 p.m.

We had to play with the amount of milk to leave. Right now, he takes about 3 – 4.5 ounces per feeding. The sitter (my mom) always offers 4.5 oz. She’ll let him decide if he wants more or less.

It is hard to leave your baby after the maternity leave. I’d much rather be with him then at stinky work. But, every time I pump, I think of how I’m making this wonderful milk that will feed him and keep him healthy. I actually think that it’s just going to get MORE difficult to leave him and go to work. As he’s getting older, he’s more communicative…smiling, cooing, and even laughing now. I’m often late for work because I just can’t help playing with him.

I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about pumping enough for him!!!! I was really hoping (in my pre-baby optimism--or ignorance ha ha) to have a real stockpile in the freezer by now, but accumulating a stockpile is pretty hard when I'm feeding him every couple of hours. How do you handle that?

Do everything you need to the night before so in the morning you only have to feed LO and change his diaper and do the small things to get ready. I put out my clothes, take a shower (no more makeup in the morning - too much work), make my lunch, get my pumping stuff together in its bag, get my work stuff together in its bag, have clothes ready for LO next to the changing table, have diaper bag ready and packed, breakfast food ready for me, etc..., etc...

As for missing him, I don't know what to tell you. People might think I'm a bad mom for saying this but my heart wasn't breaking when I went back to work. I think because the first month was really difficult for me and then I felt trapped in my house and kind of bored. I'm lucky that I work only 5-6 hours a day 4 days a week (this is full-time for my job) and LO is usually with DH at his office if he's not with me - with the exception of being with a babysitter in our apt for 6 hours/week. From what people have told me, the first day or two is horrible and then you will kind of get used to it. You could put little video clips of LO on your cell phone - you can see/hear him and you can show others how big he's getting! That's what I've done.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I went back to work last Thursday and would advise working a short week for your 1st week. Then the week that just passed was my first full week.

I did my share of crying a week before going back since I knew I'd miss him, but b/c I've known his caretaker for years, so it made it a lot easier.

We actually got on a better routine once I went back to work. He turned 3 months last Saturday. Since I leave the house at 6:30am I normally have the caretaker feed him when we arrive to her house. My husband drives so we get there at around 7:15am. He entertains himself with a bouncer during the day and then for naps she puts him down in his playpen. Last Saturday I put him his crib for the first time and he's been sleeping there since then. I think he likes the feeling of stretching out since he use to move a lot when sleeping next to me. Before the crib he would start of his co-sleeper then end up with me since nursing from bed was easier. Now he's either sleeping through the night or waking up once. If he's cooing I let him fall back asleep. If he sounds fussy I check his diaper then feed him if he's hungry.

It will take a few days to figure things out so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Your LO may just fall into a better rountine once you get back. Good luck and email me if you have any other questions.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

My son is 8 months old now and I went back to work after about 10 weeks. It was difficult and he really didn't have a schedule till about 3 months and even then it changed every few weeks. Once you start working, a schedule will fall into place, it will just take a few weeks. I think daycare actually helps babies establish somewhat of a schedule. He has a definite schedule now at 8 months. You will be a little tired and the house will be a mess for awhile, but try not to worry about the little things. We were supplementing also, so it wasn't a big deal going to daycare since he already was using a bottle. The pumping at work gets kind of annoying, but just remember to keep it up even if you hate it. It is worth it even if it doesn't feel like it at the time. You can send me a private message if you need additional support. Just always remember that it gets easier with time.

Lots of luck and hugs,
    Jennifer