Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need to wean & almost 2!

Exclamation need to wean & almost 2!

I would like to wean my son as he is nearly 2 years old. He only nurses once in the morning and once before bed, but looks like he could continue forever. In the mornings, sometimes he awakes before he has really had enough sleep, nurses, and then sleeps a little more. At night, nursing really helps calm him down and fall asleep. He is quite active and not the big, long sleeper type.
    My worry is that weaning will be extremely hard because he essentially drinks no (cow) milk. So it's not as if "giving him a bottle" will work. Oh yes, we co-sleep too.
    Any ideas of how to make this transition a smooth one?
    Thanks for your input!

Default Re: need to wean & almost 2!

It sounds like nursing is really helpful, maybe you should continue with it. What a convenient way to calm him down for bed and to allow him to get a bit more sleep in the morning.

All children will eventually wean on their own.

I agree with pp. Just because your child is almost 2 doesn't mean you need to wean! (Now, if you don't WANT to nurse anymore, that's different, but I got from your post more that you felt you SHOULD wean because your lo is almost 2) Nursing is an excellent way to calm a toddler and deal with tantrums too. Maybe before you start the weaning process, read up on extended nursing including previous posts about the benefits of extended nursing, and then make up your mind. If you still feel you want to wean, you may find tips in the weaning section. I'm not really any help because I haven't been through the weaning thing yet and I intend to do child-led weaning (basically let him nurse until he doesn't need to). Anyway, sorry I wasn't more help and good luck to you whatever you decide!

I am wondering if there is a particular reason that you need to wean right now? I don't think that the not drinking cow's milk will really make much difference. At this age, even if he loved cow's milk, it's more about comfort and a way to reconnect with mommy around sleep times. Replacing that with a bottle probably wouldn't help even if he loved cow's milk. If you really want to wean, you could try gradually shortening the nursing sessions and then replace the rest with cuddles, rocking, back rubs, etc. My son is 3, and he will often accept nursing just to the count of "10" if I'm wanting to shorten things or cut down.

I think it's a hard decision because on the one hand you want to get a full night sleep on the other you want your child to be happy.
    I weened my daughter at 2.9 by letting my husband sit in her room while she cried for me 2 nights straight and then it was over. But honestly I regret it. I had just had my son and was not getting enough sleep but after weening her I think she got a little insecure. Don't get me wrong she's very happy and friendly now at 5 but I think sometimes she needs extra reassurance about me being htere for her. Although it's impossible to say if that is why.
    My son on the other hand is 2.6 and looks like he's going to nurse forever so we'll see if I can do a gradual weening now or if I'll have to take a 'vacation' for a couple days. But this one I'm letting go longer than my daughter, at least till 3 probably.
    Keep us Posted!
    BRGDS![
    IMG]http://www.bbdny.com/images/e-q-pizza-gb.jpg[/IMG]

Hi demeter,
    Sometimes it does feel like they will go on nursing forever! But these last few nursings sound not only like a good connection for you and your son, but quite useful regarding sleep as well. You said it helps him settle in at night and gives him a little more sleep in the morning. It all depends on your comfort level and what your goals are. Do you feel pressure to wean because of his age? Are you feeling overwhelmed yourself? There are two books that might help: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler and How Weaning Happens. Your local LLL Group might have these available for borrowing.
    I've posted a few links to articles that might have helpful information for you.
    My toddler is still breastfeeding, mostly at night and first thing in the morning. Should I wean him? If so, how?
    Would Weaning Make My Life Easier?
    How Do I Wean My Baby?

HTH,
    Mary