Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: H20

Question H20

My baby girl is 4 months old (yeah!!). Today was our first offical hot day since she was born...we were outside playing and walking (in between naps of course) and she seemed more thirsty (hungry??) then usual. All I could figure is the heat. Can I give her water if I think she is thirsty? I mean, she has to be thirsty doesn't she??? I can't imagine breast milk is thirst quenshing(sp?)

Default Re: H20

My lactation consultant and LLL leader said there is no reason to give dd water at all. She said bm was the best solution for her in any case.

I did give her a little water when we were practicing a sippy cup lately and she did fine with it.

Breastmilk can quench a baby's thirst. It's all an infant really needs, even in hot weather. You may find that your baby asks to nurse more frequently (but probably for briefer "sessions") in hot weather. Just make sure that *you* stay hydrated, and allow your baby to nurse whenever she wants and you'll both be fine. I don't see any problem with giving an older baby (one who is expressing interest in solids) a sippy cup of water, but a very young baby will do just fine with breastmilk.
    Dawn

Thank you!! I didn't feel right giving her water anyways.....after I wrote that thread I thought to myself "if I really think she needs something cold I could give her a bm bottle out of the fridge!!" Thanks for the input!!