Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: adding spices / herbs / garlic to LO's foods?

Default Re: adding spices / herbs / garlic to LO's foods?

My pediatrician told me that it was ok to add spices to her food. She didn't say anything about any spice but salt.

bumping for staceyinsamoa

Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

While we were still doing seperate foods, we would season K's food just like ours, sans salt. The only thing I stopped doing for a while was adding cinnamon to her oatmeal.

I noticed a possible rash and looked around for info on the things she was eating at the time (which was - at that time - a short list) and pinpointed cinnamon as the culprit. Turns out cinnamon is one of the few spices that commonly causes an allergenic reaction. So we took it out of the oatmeal and voila, no rash. We reintroduced it at about 11.5 mos and have not had a problem this go round.

That, however, is the only seasoning we ever noticed an issue with. She loves sauteed onions, garlicky foods, etc etc.

DS loves red pepper, garlic, onion, paprika, curry, jalapeno flavor, he really eats anything. He LOVES spiced up things. The only thing we really have almost cut out completely is salt. No need for that.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!