Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding spices / herbs / garlic to LO's foods?

Default adding spices / herbs / garlic to LO's foods?

We've been doing a baby led approach to solids with our LO (currently 9 mo) and it's been going great. I've been approaching new foods somewhat conservatively - working off the allergy lists and waiting several days between each new food. Now that LO is eating a good variety of foods, I'd like to start being able to cook meals that we can all eat.

The thing that confuses me and I can't seem to find info on is how best to start adding spices / herbs and things like garlic / onion to LO's diet. Are there allergy concerns with any of these things? Is it recommended to follow the same approach of introducing one new thing at a time and waiting?

Thanks so much!

Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: adding spices / herbs / garlic to LO's foods?

I'm gonna watch this thread closely. We're in the same boat with my ds having solids intro'd very slowly. He's starting to not like some of the veggies since we've gone so slowly- I think he's tired of them. I've though about adding just a little onion powder to some to perk them up a little.

Herbs and things like onions and garlic should be OK but for spices it is recommended to wait until 1 year old since the kidneys of the infants may not be able to handle them well. I have never heard of herbs, onions and garlic causing any allergies but you may want to introduce them one by one just in case especially if you have family history of allergies.

I have never heard anything about holding off on spices, and certainly not because of kidney development, but I would love to see the research/documentation on that. We started feeding dd exactly what we were eating around the 9/10 month mark. I stopped keeping track, because she had had so many things with no reaction, and I still avoided a lot of foods with high allergy risks. Truly, that's the time when she really wanted to eat--she loved the spices and flavors of food.

Prior to that, I had used cinammon and garlic in her foods for flavor--I figured what baby wanted to eat plain old chicken? I like it cooked with a little garlic and onion. And you should still be careful of salt content--that, I know, is dangerouis because they cannot handle high sodium contents.

HTH!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    for spices it is recommended to wait until 1 year old since the kidneys of the infants may not be able to handle them well
    Do you have any more information about this?

I know this is true for salt ... but when I said "spices" I was thinking of things like hot pepper, cinnamon, etc. We don't use any spices mixes (which would be likely to have salt in them).

Thanks -
    Lynn
    Lynn

just a note about garlic, ds#1 loves garlic, but when he was a lo if he ate fresh garlic ,his mouth area would become red and swollen. it didn't seem to bother him, just looked bad, after that i would just chop it up really fine before cooking. now, he eats it with no prob. just wanted to let you know what could happen, although it prob won't
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

It says it in the little booklet they gave us at the ped.'s office. After saying "do not add salt to your baby's food" because of the kidney situation it says "do not season your baby's food." I was kind of suspicious about the whole thing because I was sure Indians gave spicy food to their children then I asked an Indian friend and she said she didn't put spices in her baby's food which made me think maybe it is true. I don't know, have I misinterpreted it?

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    I don't know, have I misinterpreted it?
    I don't have a clue, and haven't been able to find much info ... that's why I'm asking!

I also posted over in the allergy section of this forum - I know those moms have a huge amount of food knowledge.
    Lynn

In my opinion, its a bit of a myth that babies don't/shouldn't eat spicy foods, because of their sensitive tummys. I know that Mexicans (in true Mexico) feed their lo's spicy foods...and I suspect that most cultures do. If you think about it, you didn't start getting a more sensitive tummy (to spices and onions and such) until you got older. I do wonder about what desperate read, because I don't want to make a mistake with the next one...so if someone finds something otherwise, I am intrigued.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Update - I've been getting input on this question over on the allergy section of the forum.

According to shannon75 "it is possible to be allergic to onion and garlic".
    Which is also what I see here:
    http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample1.html
    http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample2.html

And there's a report of cinnamon also being a possible allergen.
    Cinnamon is on Dr Sears' "Most-Allergenic Foods" list:
    http://askdrsears.com/html/4/t041800.asp

I've been poking around on the web, and so far I haven't seen anything about other herbs (basil, oregano, etc) or spices (pepper, red pepper, etc) as possible allergens. I also didn't see anything yet about seasonings and baby's kidneys (still interested in learning more about that one!).

So - my interpretation is that if you're worried about allergies then introduce garlic and onion the same way that you'd introduce other new foods.

I've decided to try not worry about herbs & other spices.

In our case - I've been eating lots of garlic / onion / spicy food while pg and BF so DS should already have had exposure.
    Lynn