Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tongue tied & sore nipples

Default tongue tied & sore nipples

My dd is 4 weeks old & we had her frenulum clipped last Friday. Our ped diagnossed slight tongue tiedness while we were still in the hospital and told us she'd clip it if nursing was being affected. Well, last week the pain became unbearable (probably due to cluster feeding related to a growth spurt) & we went in. DD seems to be doing better, but she still has difficulty opening her mouth wide. My nipples had become very sore (bright red tips) and have cracked some. As a result I have been using a nipple shield since Monday evening. Today (Thurs) they have improved, but are still sore.

I am wondering how long it may take my nipples to recover? And when should I stop using the shield? Do I wait for total recovery? Also, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for "convincing" my dd that she can now open wide. We often have to re-latch several times & she (& I) gets very aggravated.

TIA!

Default Re: tongue tied & sore nipples

Been there. Are you using Lashinoh to help with healing? It will probably take about a week for them to get better after she stops damaging them. Work on "showing" her how you want her to open her mouth and stick out her tongue when you are playing. We had DS's clipped at 9 weeks and it took about 3 weeks for things to be all better, but they improved gradually during that time. Never used shields, can't comment on that...

Yes, I am using Lansinoh after every feeding & soothies too. And about twice a day I do a saline soak on each nipple (read about that here or on kellymom.com).
    If I can get her to open wide she closes down before we can latch on. But you have provided hope Thanks! I just was so worried for a few days that it was going to be excruciating pain all the time. But I feel bfing is so important; I am bound and determined.

Have you watched the bfing videos by Dr. Jack Newman? If you scroll down this page there is a link. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html I found that it helped to touch his top lip and then try to be fast to get him latched. It gets easier in a few weeks when they start opening their mouth on their own. If things don't improve soon, I'd talk to a LLLLeader or IBCLC to see if you can get some in person help. The pain makes bfing much harder than it should be. Good for you for your commitment!