Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BFIP Newspaper article...

Default BFIP Newspaper article...

Here ya go ladies, this made my blood boil.
    The authors email address is at the bottom. Feel free to give him your oppinion, I know I did!

http://www.zwire.com/site/index.cfm?...&dept_id=24229

Default Re: BFIP Newspaper article...

How's this?

Wow. How many breastfed babies do you know that will take a bottle from their own mother? Many won't take one at all. The bottle suggestion was just ignorant, but suggesting someone enter a public restroom to feed their child is disgusting and insulting. You go eat YOUR lunch in a bathroom. You suggest the mother needs to grow up. Talk about calling the kettle black. Nope, no one is asking you to get enlightened. That's probably asking too much. It doesn't sound like you are interested in learning that breastfeeding an infant on demand is the number way to avoid low milk supply as well as plugged milk ducts and infection in the breast. But you should know that some people, including new mothers who are nervous enough about breastfeeding and parenting in general, may be reading your ignorant and cruel words. I would hope no new mom would feel she needs to run, leaking through her shirt and holding a screaming baby, to a nasty bathroom or a hot car so that no one has to see her feed her child. Motherhood is isolating enough without being told that simple, everyday care - 8 to 10 times a day at that age, by the way - should be done in private and could even offend someone. You compared it to a dog crapping on the floor, if I read that right. I don't really have any appropriate words to with which to respond to that. Just.. wow...
    Last edited by awnja; May 3rd, 2007 at 12:41 PM.

That article makes my blood boil. Would he like to go eat in the mens room? I'm sure he would love that atmosphere while he is getting a meal. I sorry that my baby is not going to starve to appease some guy who doesnt approve. If you dont like it..dont look

OMG!!! I'M SPEACHLESS! I can't believe it, he's talking about growing up, he needs to grow up, OMG, I'm sooo upset!

I know this is not going to be popular, but here goes. I completely disagree with the writer of the article when he suggests feeding the baby in the restroom, but I do believe he has a valid point about the need for discretion. I exclusively breastfeed my son, and I definitely understand the need to feed when the baby needs to be fed, but I also believe that it's important to be aware of the possibility that other people may not want to be exposed (pardon the pun) to our feeding. This has nothing to do with shame or embarrassment or a belief in some oppressive influence by less-enlightened people, but with what I believe is a matter of courtesy. When I am at home I don't have to consider strangers' comfort with my breastfeeding, and I have no need to be modest (this is also true at friends' houses, so long as they are also comfortable). But when I am in public, and therefore not the only person whose comfort I have to consider, I am more discreet. Several years ago, on a flight in France, there were four women breastfeeding their babies around me, and as big a supporter of breastfeeding as I am, I was uncomfortable. I am fortunate in that my son will and does accept bottles (of breast milk) from me, but I think that in addition to the right women have to feed their babies, there is an issue of consideration for other people's comfort as well. I know a lot of people won't like my response, but I wanted to put in my two cents.

Interesting that I finished reading the article but before I could post a comment the website page went down.

I intend on continuing to check it so that I can reply. Here's my thoughts- he is an insensitive self-righteous pig. I would hazard a guess that the last time him pompous self was told by a restaurant hostess that he had to wait for a table that she got an earful- and yet he expects an infant to wait for a feeding rather than be fed on demand. The only thing I have to say re: the mother is that I don't think I would have plopped down in the floor of a store to feed my baby. For on thing it would have been more uncomfortable than just walking around with my baby, and she had to have disrupted the flow of shoppers to do that- so I do think she should have tried better not to do that.

No I wouldn't have sat on the floor to feed either, but if I were a shopper or employee, I would have looked at her and thought just that; "I wouldn't have chosen that spot." Nothing more. Much like my opinion about what some folks WEAR to the store. Ain't none of my business. Just like it isn't my business if Thomas'smom wants to nurse her baby in a corner by herself somewhere. I'd let her be too. Whether one feels it's better to be discrete or not, it's still not our place to tell a woman where she can and cannot nurse her baby. Nobody's business. As for a flight to France, I don't know where a woman would go where anyone who's uncomfortable with breastfeeding would be sheltered from it. It's really more important to shelter the mother from comments then to shelter the the people who can't handle the sight of a breast, IMO. I've nursed everywhere; restrooms, rock concerts, libraries, nice restarants, festivals. I stopped hiding altogether a few months into motherhood and never got a single negative comment WHILE nursing. I have heard pleanty of differing opinions on the issue, but EVERYONE I've been around has been decent enough to let a mother be while nursing her baby. Regardless of their comfort level. And I think that's how it should be.

And it should never be grouped with animals "relieving" themselves on the floor. That's the part that ticked me off the most.

Quote Originally Posted by awnja View Post

And it should never be grouped with animals "relieving" themselves on the floor. That's the part that ticked me off the most.
    Breastfeeding usually seems to come back to issues about bathrooms and urinating. Why is that? its not in the same category, or anything near it!

this is what I wrote to him.

I take offense at the audacity of your article. I am a mother who breastfeeds. If my child is hungry, it is my job to feed her, regardless of where I am. You ask why this mother did not go into the restroom to feed her child. I ask you this - would you eat your lunch or force your child to eat their lunch in a public restroom? When I think about the bacteria on the floor of a restroom and my skin crawls. Was she supposed to sit in filth to feed her child? is she supposed to balance on a toilet to feed a hungry infant? You state that any mother who goes shopping with her child should take a bottle. Well, obviously you don't have too much experience with breastfed babies, which is a shame. Some babies who receive breastmilk exclusively reject a rubber nipple. Would you prefer to listen to a screaming, frustrated baby while mom tries to force a bottle on her? I am sure you would be the first to insist someone quiet the child. You say it is annoying for women to breastfeed in public. I find it annoying that a man can walk around all day without a shirt on and it is perfectly acceptable, but the moment a mother tries to feed her child - the reason we have breasts, mind you - the red flags go up and people with this puritanical mindset start pointing the finger for all of societies ails. You know what I say to these people? If you have a problem with my god-given right to feed my child, don't look. Simple as that. I think it is you who needs to grow up. I have every right and will contnue to feed my child whenever and wherever she needs it.

I think we should contact the businesses that are advertising on his site and let them know who they are associating with and that now every time a mother sees the business they will think of this article and not do business with them.
    Maybe not being paid for advertisement space will tick him off.
    But, the companies could look at it as negative attention is still attention, so they might not care.

????

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches