Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medela Supplemental Nursing System

Default Medela Supplemental Nursing System

I was wondering if anyone has used the Supplemental Nursing System by Medela...and if it works well. I've been supplementing w/ a Dr.Brown's bottle, but like the idea of supplementing & still receiving the stimulation to increase milk production.

Krista

Default Re: Medela Supplemental Nursing System

Hi there,

I use (and still use) the Medela SNS, but it's the temporary one the hospital gave me. I didn't spend the $40 for the permanent one. My milk didn't come in fast enough, and my little guy lost 2+ pounds after he was born when he was in the hospital. He was 10lbs. 3.5ozs., when he was born, and is now back up to about 11 or 12 lbs.

I supplemented him with formula at first (lots of it, IMO) and he did really well. He's 7 weeks old now, and BF'ing him alone doesn't satisfy him, so I'm still supplementing him, but he's getting about 2-6 ounces of formula a day. If it weren't for supplementing him, I'd be nursing all day and most of the night.

I don't bottle feed him much, so if I feed him formula its through the SNS. I typically make an ounce at a time, except in the PM for his last feeding before bed when he gets about 2 ounces. Using the SNS really helped my milk come in, and kept baby happy. The key is to not feed your little one so much formula that you are nursing less per day, and you are still getting the stimulation from nursing. It's easy to use, just takes a little practice to position the tube and get a good latch, and baby doesn't even really notice anything is different.

Good luck!

"At breast" supplementers can be a terrific way to get extra into a baby IF said baby is able to breastfeed (remove/transfer available milk) fairly to very effectively. (They were not designed to help a baby "learn" how to breastfeed. They don't "train" a baby re: breastfeeding.) They can help with increasing milk production if baby still does the breastfeeding "work," which may be related to how the device is set to deliver milk through the tubing -- don't want it too fast; want the baby to have to suckle at breast to get fluid through the tubing.

As per any other feeding device, "at breast" supplementers have both advantages and disadvantages -- not a panacea.

Different mothers prefer different devices -- again each has different advantages/disadvantages! Several mothers have told me they liked the Lact-Aid vs. SNS for various reasons. If unfamiliar with it, go to:
    http://www.lact-aid.com/webmap.htm#webmap

Good luck!

The SNS system, or boob tube as I called it, saved my breastfeeding relatinship with my kid. I was just posting this same idea for another new mom. My baby was a lazy nurser, always pinched my nipple. We used the SNS system the hospital lactation consultant gave us and within a few days she was a better nurser. I think this was a pretty quick result. Soem women use the bood tube for a long while. But for us, she had a better latch nearly right away. My nipple came out nice and round instead of pinched and within days my milk supply was better. I am so thankful - but I also remember the device being very veyr frustrating to use. It was worth it.
    Best wishes!
    Maggie

I occasionally use the SNS. My lo has to be supplemented and I usually just use a bottle for the sake of time. (We already spend about 45 just nursing.) There are times, however, when he starts to prefer the bottle over the breast, or I feel he just didn't get a good feeding at the breast, and I'll use the SNS. I would recommend nursing first without it, just to make sure they get all the bm they can without getting filled up with the formula. Also, if you're able to pump, putting EBM in there is even better!