Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 mos old hates avocado

Default 7 mos old hates avocado

I started my dd on solid food at 6.5 mos. We're slowly going through pureed veggies (she clearly prefers carrots, sweet potatoes, squash to peas and green beans). I keep reading and hearing about the benefits of avocado, but can't figure out what I need to do to it to get her to eat it? I've selected ripe avocados, scooped out the meat, mashed it up and fed it to her. She shudders, gags and clamps her mouth shut in protest.

Default Re: 7 mos old hates avocado

I may get yelled at for this - but I added a little bit of sugar to it and ds liked it then. But it turned out that he was allergic to avocado - so watch out for that, maybe he is protecting himself from it by not eating it.

I'm thinking she's just not interested in green food! I'll give it one more shot, then I'm letting it go. I just wondered if maybe I was preparing it wrong? How did you figure out it was an allergy?

Green, runny (watery) stools, ring around the anus (rash) - were his definite signs for avocado allergy.

DS is almost 8 months old and he hates avocado too. We tried it about 2 weeks ago as his first "green" food. I just mashed it up when it was really ripe. I make all my own fruits and veggies and he's had banana, yams, pears and yellow squash. (I only make my own b/c DS #1 had horrible eczema and I like to know exactly what I am starting DS #2 on.)

Try again in a few weeks---DD may change her mind. They say it can take up to 15 times trying a new food before it's accepted!

Good luck!

Talking avacado solution?

My boy, now 10.5 months, wasn't too bananas about avacado either.....until I mashed it up with some bananas! This has actually worked for other foods for us too -- including pureed chicken! Of course you'll want to have already made sure that bananas are a tolerated food. I found this tip in the book Feed Me -- I'm Yours! It's a 70s book with some good basic feeding info. Hope the bananas help!

My 10 MO hated avocado at first. Then we were at a mexican restaurant and I had nothing to entertain her with, so I was letting her taste the guacamole. She couldn't get enough! I was careful to pull out any big pieces of onion or anything else, but she loved the spices in it. Now it's one of her favorite foods (onions and all). FWIW, lots of foods she didn't seem to like at first she can't get enough of now. Peas and spinach are now two of her favorites!

I don't know if she's just naturally an adventurous eater or if we did something "right" but I've always given her a wide variety of things to eat. So maybe that helped expand her tastes. Or not, who knows? I'm just waiting for the day when she decides she won't eat anything except for applesauce and grilled cheeses, like my mom tells me I did...

The entire first year is for taste and texture only, not for nutritional purposes. So, I would offer it once per week, but I wouldn't push to hard.

FYI: My baby didn't like any pureed foods. I was so worried ! But, at about 10 months, she was able to self-feed table foods. Now, she loves to eat and can't get enough of anything I put in front of her.

As long as you continue to bf, don't worry weither or not they like certain foods.

Thank you to all your suggestions and info! I'll try again later and see what she thinks. My son loved everything I gave him and at 2.5, he's still a good eater, willing to try anything once...so I wasn't prepared for a picky child!

and--thank you for the info on detecting an allergy. I'll keep my eyes open for that in the future!

What I do for my 8 month old daughter is simply spoon a bit of the mashed avacado into a bottle. Then I add a little ebm and stir to combine, then add the rest of the milk and give her avacado milk. She doesn't like to eat it either. I thought of adding it to her milk because her dr. would like to see her gain a little more weight. He suggested adding corn oil to the ebm, but I just can't bring myself to do it. The avacado seems more natural to me and she likes it. She also started on other dairy products like yogurt and cottage cheese which she loves. Hopefully, she will gain a little bit more. If you are only interested in the benefits of avacado, this might work for you