Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BAD diaper rash...diarea...on antibiotics...concerned?

Default BAD diaper rash...diarea...on antibiotics...concerned?

My DS has been on antibiotics since Friday for an ear infecion. He is 12 months and this is his first time being on antibiotics. He has had diarrea for almost two weeks. The day after we started him on the antibiotics he started to get a mild diaper rash and we have treated to continually with ointment. Well, this afternoon the diaper rash got terribly worse. It is all over his bottom and on his private too. When I used the wipe to clean the poop, a few spots on the skin started to bleed. He is in serious pain and cannot get comfortable. I gave him some motrin and put more ointment on his bottom. Should I be concerned?

Default Re: BAD diaper rash...diarea...on antibiotics...concerned?

It could be a Yeast Infection from the antibiotics giving him the diaper rash, If so you'll need a cream to treat that, More often than not when my DO's got a rash and where on antibiotics thats what happend. You might want to call your Peditrician and ask what they'd like you to use, I often will use the same stuff we use for female yeast infections. HTH

I was worried that it might be a yeast infection. I guess I can call the Dr. in the AM.

If it IS a yeast infection, Monistat cream should clear it right up. But first try this recipe and if it doesn't make a dent and you can't get into the MD in the morning try to monistat.

Butt Paste Recipe
    1/3 Mylanta (yes, Mylanta)
    1/3 Desitin
    1/3 Lubriderm or Eucerin lotion

Mix it together in a little tupperware (disposable prefferably) till it is like really thick paint, and then just smear it all over his little bottom. It takes at least 48 hours to really show improvement usually.

I got that recipe from a doctor when my oldest (now about to hit 7 years old) was 2 weeks old. He developed severe pnmeonia and was in the hospital under an oxygen tent and on every antibiotic they could think to put him on, his little bottom was RAW, it was bleeding it was so terrible, that recipe was the ONLY thing that worked on him and I swear by it for all rashy bums, that and monistat have saved my kids rears more than once.

Hope he feels better soon, sore heineys are no fun.