Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bottle during the day/BF at night

Default Re: Bottle during the day/BF at night

Quote Originally Posted by home executive
    Right on!
    I think your information might be off. No organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding for 12 months.
    I think she meant exclusively without supplementing with formula or other human milk substitutes.

Hi Julian, I can feel your feelings.... I bring ds to work with me, as a matter of fact sleeping on boob right now!!!! since he does so frequently fall asleep when latched during the day, it gets kinda wierd having him on the breast while sitting at my desk. I bring 6 oz of formula (he's 4 wks old) to work every day and take turns on the bottle and the breast. It is so much quicker and seems belly satisfying for him on the bottle. I like to bf at night, of course because it just seems comfortable and right at night. I do feel guilty sometimes, but I have to do what seems right for me... As it says many places, even a little bm is better than none!!!

Hi there.
    I am currently doing JUST this! I started last week. For the first few days I had to pump (just an ounce or so), but now, I am giving her 3 4 oz bottles of formula during the day, then breastfeeding at night and mornings. I feel no guilt and am quite relieved I finally did it. I struggled with a touch of guilt, but I'm ok with it now. I'm going back to work this coming week. I had some frozen milk, but it turns out it was going bad too quickly (tasted/smelled like spitup). I spoke with a LC and they recommened scalding the milk first then freezing. That's all fine and good, but my job is crazy and frankly my life is crazy and I needed a solution to pumping/scalding/freezing!! Yikes. Anyhoo, just give it a few days and you won't have to pump in the day.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to email me @ elizabeth.mick@cox.net

I am curious why you are eager to cut back - it's a genuine question - is there something specific that bothers you about him nursing all day? I know that for some people it's the issue of sitting still, for others there's discomfort, for others there's societal pressure, for others work/other kids/other responsibilities.... I just think that maybe if you can zero in on your motivation, that might help you find a solution that would meet your needs AND your child's needs, too. Frankly, 9 times a day doesn't sound like that much to me (!).

But to answer your question about day/night - I think this depends on your milk supply and your body, but I know plenty of people who basically nurse by day and baby sleeps all or most of the night. What you're proposing to do is just the opposite, so it stands to reason that if a body can adapt to nurse-by-day, not-by-night, the body could adjust to nurse-by-night not-by-day. In my case, I have been working ever since my son was bitty tiny. He came with me to work for the first 9 months (and off and on since then) but for most of his life he's been at home with dad (and more recently at preschool half-days). So for us, that was the reality - we don't nurse much by day, we nurse a lot at night. Worked for me. I am convinced that on a daily basis my body knew when to ramp up production and when to tone it down.

I am curious why you are eager to cut back - is there something specific that bothers you about him nursing all day? I know that for some people it's the issue of sitting still, for others there's discomfort, for others there's societal pressure, for others work/other kids/other responsibilities.... I just think that maybe if you can zero in on your motivation, that might help you find a solution that would meet your needs AND your child's needs, too. Frankly, 9 times a day doesn't sound like that much to me (!), especially at 6 months old.

But to answer your question about day/night - I think this depends on your milk supply and your body, but I know plenty of people who basically nurse by day and baby sleeps all or most of the night. What you're proposing to do is just the opposite, so it stands to reason that if a body can adapt to nurse-by-day, not-by-night, the body could adjust to nurse-by-night not-by-day. In my case, I have been working ever since my son was bitty tiny. He came with me to work for the first 9 months (and off and on since then) but for most of his life he's been at home with dad (and more recently at preschool half-days). So for us, that was the reality - we don't nurse much by day, we nurse a lot at night. Worked for me. I am convinced that on a daily basis my body knew when to ramp up production and when to tone it down.