Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby spits up breast milk but not formula

Default Baby spits up breast milk but not formula

My 3 1/2 mo old daughter has been breast feeding exclusively. From the beginning, she has had terrible reflux/spitting up. The doctor put her on zantax around a month old.

I recently had her back to the doctor, he told me to try formula for one day - he said he would hate to suggest not breast feeding, but try it and see what happens.

She doesn't spit up the formula. I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue.

Default Re: Baby spits up breast milk but not formula

Do you have a strong letdown? That might account for why she spit up less with formula from a bottle. There are so many wonderful benefits of breastfeeding that some extra laundry from spit-up pales in comparison. They do grow out of it gradually, too.

My son was spitting up almost after every feeding for the first couple of months but he was gaining weight beautifully so we didn't worry about it. How is your baby's weight gain? If it is OK spitting up is not a problem as far as I know. It is projectile vomiting that you should worry about if it ever happens.
    I never tried formula but I am guessing they are putting something in it that will make it settle down in your baby's stomach hard so that it won't come out.

Maybe because she finds comfort in your breast, and she has not learned to comfort nurse (just sucking, not eating) and she may overeat a bit???

Whatever it is, the pros of BF outweigh some spit-up.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

You should try to give her breastmilk in a bottle to see if it's the formula that makes the difference or just the way she drinks.

My DD, who is also a refluxer and has been on Zantac for months now, used to spit up a lot when breastfeeding but not at all when bottlefeeding the same breastmilk ! I guess it was a combination of OALD (not much) and bad latch... But even if it was the case, I would keep on breastfeeding: as a pp said, if the pain is gone and the weight is fine, then it is just a laundry problem!

I also wanted to tell you that there is an end to reflux. My DD is almost 7 months old, still coughs at night from time to time, but apart from that, reflux is an old nightmare that I slowly erase from my memory...

Hang in there!

Formula is so thick in comparison, that's probably why. I would stick with breastmilk!

I also have a 3.5 month old (born Jan 17th) with reflux on zantac! She was having projectile spit ups, and even on the zantac will have 1 or 2 minor spit ups a day. Breastmilk is a natural antacid, so try to keep nursing!

Might be something you're eating. Mine spits up a ton when I eat red sauce (pasta, pizza). Once I stopped, so did he. (Rats! I'm 100% italian too! *sigh* The things we do for our little ones)