Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: another question!

Default another question!

I am so thankful that I found this site. I used to be so laid back and I think I'm becoming neurotic over all the breastfeeding questions I have on a daily basis! So thanks for your help
    I've heard of babies clusterfeeding, and I think that may be what my son is doing. He'll be awake for 4 hours at a time (a lot for him) and be on and off the breast that whole time. Its really hard for me to tell how much he is getting, especially when he fusses while nursing. After this, he'll sleep for a longer time than I'm used to - over 4 hours sometimes. Is this normal? Should I let him sleep? And as long as there are more than enough wet and poopy diapers and he is gaining weight, do I need to worry about how much and how often he is eating? He is very reluctant to feed once he's ready to sleep or if I try to wake him up, so normally I just feed him when he wakes up on his own.
    Thanks so much for your help! Its great to be able to ask someone all these questions!

Default Re: another question!

If diapers are good, you're right, you don't need to worry about how much he is eating. How old is your LO? BM is aborbed in about 90 minutes-2 hours. If hes really small, you want to avoid him getting over-hungry or you getting engorged. By frequent feeding in the early weeks you are encouraging your body to keep producing.

When my LO was young, he napped too long, and got overhungry and then was too worked up to eat. So its a fine balance.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I'm not sure how old your lo is, but as long as wasn't preterm, he's gaining weight, nursing 8-12 times per day, and your supply is good I wouldn't see a need to wake him. It sure can be hard to nurse a sleepy baby! The 8-12 times isn't necessarily spaced out evenly over a 24 hour period. 4 hours does sound like a long time for a small baby to be awake so you might try to get him to sleep after say 2 hours - swaddling him after he's nursed, rocking, and walking all can help if he hasn't fallen asleep while nursing.

Laura

He'll be awake for 4 hours at a time (a lot for him) and be on and off the breast that whole time. Its really hard for me to tell how much he is getting, especially when he fusses while nursing. After this, he'll sleep for a longer time than I'm used to - over 4 hours sometimes. Is this normal?
    Textbook normal This is very, very common and something he'll outgrow as he gets older (I'm assuming he's fairly new? I can't remember).

Should I let him sleep? And as long as there are more than enough wet and poopy diapers and he is gaining weight, do I need to worry about how much and how often he is eating? He is very reluctant to feed once he's ready to sleep or if I try to wake him up, so normally I just feed him when he wakes up on his own.
    That's exactly right. As long as he's getting enough to eat, just let him eat and sleep as he wishes!

You're doing fine mama!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thanks ladies! Sorry I forgot to include his age - he's 5 1/2 weeks