Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About to cry

Default Re: About to cry

Thank you all for the tremendous amount of encouragement. Things seem to be getting better already. Last night she nursed w/out supplementing the first two times she woke up (she slept for 2 1/2 hrs in between the feedings). Yesterday she was crying nearly all day long...then I realized why she had been crying...gas. You'd think I would have known that since I already have a dd...who happened to have a lot of gas problems. My dd was formula fed, so maybe that's why I wasn't expecting it now since I'm bf'ing. We had some lovely people make meals for us...it just so happened that one of the meals gave the whole family gas...so I'd assume that's where it came from.

My right breast seems to be regaining that full feeling, but the left is still struggling. Although she did nurse longer than she ever has on the left these past few feedings. She actually choked once while feeding on my right last night. So the flow must be good. She was swallowing a lot more than usual. It seems she just goes to town on the fore milk, but starts to drift off and is really difficult for me to keep her alert to get to the hind milk.

We started supplementing at 3 days because she had lost 11% of her birth weight, was only having 2-3 wet diapers, was constantly crying/not sleeping and was not able to latch well because I was so engorged already. My milk came in rather quickly. Her weight gain has been excellent since we started supplemementing. She gained back six ounces the first two days of supplementing. She has gained another pound since then (seven ounces more than her birth weight)! I was so excited to see that.

I had seen a LC in person at the first dr appt. where she had lost 11%. She had me pump for about 5 minutes then try to latch her on. She did latch on, but just suckled. The LC said it was probably because she had just gotten all worked up (she was previously sreaming at the top of her lungs during the dr. appt...until she fell asleep from exhaustion). So she really didn't get to see how effective she was at transferring milk, but did get to see that she has a good latch.

I will definitely take the advice and get a hold of a local La Leche leader. Hopefully she will be able to help some as well. I will have someone to help with my 3yr old dd next week. Dh's parents are flying in Sun afternoon. So hopefully they can give her some extra attention. Take her to the park and things that I can't quite do until some of these bf'ing issues get worked out.

I've been pumping in between nursing, but not every time. I suppose if I do it every time it would help increase my supply that much quicker. I haven't tried taking fenugreek by it self, but I did buy Mother's Milk tea. I'm going to start taking it regularly. I had to go buy sugar...packed it for the move already! I so can't do tea w/out sugar.

Melissa,
    You said you supplemented when she acted hungry after feeding. How did things turn around for you? Or for anyone who has supplemented?

Maggi,
    Any recommendations you might have would be great. A La Leche leader no doubt will give great help, but it's also great to hear from others as well.

Thank you all for the encouragement to stick it out. I know I have a habit of expecting immediate results and w/bf'ing that's just not realistic.

Hanging in here,
    Krista

I never supplmented, but I did exclusively pump for about 3 months. Those were the worst 3 months of my life, constant mastitis. I felt like it would never work, and I would have to give formula. But, it all worked out.

When I finally got her to latch, I decided to have an all or nothing attempt at breastfeeding. I completely ditched the bottle (but I still did pump after every feeding to increase supply). It was a miserable few weeks. She acted like she was constantly hungry. She fell asleep at every feeding. She was cranky, and fussy, and absolutely miserable. I felt like a horrible mother for what I was putting her through.

However, every day at 3:00, I changed her diaper and put her on the callaborated scale at the post office. She was gaining about a half ounce to an ounce per day. So, even though she seemed miserable, she wasn't loosing any weight. So, I kept at it a little longer and a little longer.

After about a month, things got better. My daughter's latch was never perfect. As a result, she needed to eat about every hour day and night until about 9 months of age.

But, I never gave her formula. After 3 months, she never took a bottle again. And, after I stopped pumping, I never got a clogged duct or mastitis again.

Hang in there. 2-3 weeks old is also prime growth spurt time, where it probably feels like baby is attached to you 24/7! The more you nurse, the more milk your body will make to meet the demand.

I had 3 yr old twins when my youngest was born. I know it's difficult to handle everything. It'll even out and get easier.

Well today has been wonderful. I have only supplemented about a half ounce during one feeding. I noticed that she does better at night. More actively sucking than during the day. So I thought that she might just be one of those babies that likes it nice and quiet w/ the lights dimmed. So today I've been taking her to my room, dimming the lights and feeding her quietly in bed. I sent our 3yr old off to play in her room w/ the cats. She has done so well. Hopefully this is the solution and we'll be on our way to not supplementing soon.

Last night I also just decided that if we are going to supplement then so be it and to not feel guilty or rushed to get things turned around. Then wouldn't you know it's been great since and I haven't hardly supplemented at all. What a stress relief it was to make that decision. Then what a blessing it was to see things starting to turn around unexpectedly once the pressure was off.

Praise God, I'd been praying things would start getting better soon.

I'm so happy to hear things are going better for you.

I am one of those Mom's who couldn't hack exclusively breastfeeding. Boy, did I try. But I ended up supplementing with formula and breastfeeding, and it was great for us.

Once I made the decision to do so, my body relaxed and I think my baby sensed it.

I am so happy you seem to be doing much better.... I will just add to all the other posts that my lo (now 7 months old) has been breastfeeding 90% for my left breast. She never got around to suck actively on my right breast, I never got a good supply on that side... I am back to work, and can pump ~ 3-5 ounces on the left side and 0.5-2 ounces on the right side (and 2 on a very lucky pumping session).....

.... my story to tell you that even if your lo like one side better and abandon the other side... you can feed your lo with one side !!!

Hang on there

I will add that yes, supplementing is fine... I agree with one of the previous post, what your lo (and your 3-year old) need is a rested relaxed mom. I had this dilemma once when lo was 3 month old... and someone on this board told me.... "formula is not poison". That is so true.

kitty i only supplemented when my supply was low i still let her latch on and if she acted like she didnt get enough id give formula once my supply came up i just bf...alot of my trouble was during the first 2mo. she had jaundice and kept losing weight so they recommended i supplement till the jaundice cleared up and my supply was better...so i did! but sometimes ppl made me feel like i was not doing a good job just because of supplementing....when it actually helped me because i was stressing badly..and plus i felt so guilty just seeing my dd frustrated...shes now 4mo. and i still supplement at times maybe once if that...r u doing better?