Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: return to menstruation

Default return to menstruation

Can getting your period back cause changes in your breastmilk? My son has been seeming really fussy every time he eats for the past three days, and yesterday I got my first period. I'm wondering if they could be related.
    Also, I only gave birth 5 1/2 weeks ago - is it even possible for me to be getting my period yet? I'm bfing exclusively. I know its not a bf question, but has this happened to anyone else?? It seems a lot sooner than I was told to expect.

Default Re: return to menstruation

Hi there,

My period returned last week and my milk supply plummeted. I pumped extra and nursed as often as my LO would cooperate (I'm back to work so I have to do both!). I definitely had some extra fussiness but I'm not sure that it had to do so much with the quality of the milk as the lack of flow. I think my DS was frustrated because he wasn't getting as much as he was used to getting as fast. I, too, am exclusively breastfeeding and was shocked to find my period back so soon. Your LO may be fussing b/c the milk is not flowing the same way (not trying to make you nervous).

At 4 weeks post-partum I got what I thought was my period but my OB/GYN said I was causing more bleeding from doing too much. Are you very active right now? Make sure to get your rest and keep your fluids up.

One other thing and I'll stop , are you consuming a lot of dairy? My LO fussed a lot at the beginning and later on I found out he has a milk protein intolerance. Just err on the side of caution when it comes to dairy if you consume a lot and notice corresponding fussiness. Best of luck!

Thanks for your suggestions! I've been trying to keep an eye on what I eat in relation to his fussiness - how long after you eat something does it show up in breastmilk??
    I suppose the bleeding could be in relation to doing a lot - we're in the process of moving so I've been pretty busy. I assumed it was my period because I had completely stopped bleeding almost 3 weeks ago. I'll ask at my 6 week checkup next week.
    Thanks!

I believe what you're describing would still be considered postpartum bleeding. I've known of other mothers who stop bleeding around 3 weeks and then start again close to the six week mark. Do you think your baby's fussiness could be due to a growth spurt? They're very common at about six weeks!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thanks Jen, I was a little weirded out thinking it was my period!
    It could definitely be a growth spurt. I also think sometimes when he's gone a while without nursing the letdown is strong, and that bothers him. I've been leaning back while nursing and that seems to help some.
    Thanks again for the thoughts - this bfing is confusing!

No problem Ask as many questions as you like, it's what we're here for! You'll be an old pro in no time!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I bled at 8 weeks postpartum, but didn't start having periods until DS was 12 mo. As far as what you eat, I personally wouldn't worry about it unless the fussiness is really severe or there are other signs of intollerance. Most moms can eat whatever and it doesn't bother your baby. Dairy is the most common source of problems, though, and it takes about 2 weeks to completely get out of your system.

BFing does have a big learning curve at first. When I was feeling overwhelmed, my friend (also an IBCLC and LLLLeader) told me that by 3 months I would have things down and by 6 months I would be able to help other moms. I didn't believe her at the time (we were at the 8 week mark or so), but it was true. It gets so much easier and in the long run, it helps you to be really in tune with your baby which is very helpful. (In addition to providing the best nutrition and all that...)
    Last edited by I-Man's Momma; May 2nd, 2007 at 04:43 PM.

According to the book Art of Natural Family Planning published by the Couple to Couple League, "If you are doing ecological or exclusive breastfeeding, you can treat any bleeding episode that occurs in the first 56 days postpardum as unrelated to fertility, according to a consensus of breastfeeding experts." Something similar happened to me after my second child - I had spotting around day 55 but I had stopped my postpardum bleeding weeks before. At the time I found some information probably in the same book about hormonal shifts during that time period that can cause spotting - I can't find that reference now of course.

Laura