Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this okay?

Default Re: Is this okay?

I was also thinking of another point to bring to your husband. Breastfed babies are so much healthier. Your husband will be happier in the long run due to a healthier baby. Healthier baby means happier mom and dad! My girls who were all strictly breastfed have been able to fight off sicknesses usually within 24 hrs. I hope that my little twins will do okay. They have been bf along with supplement (long story how that happenend) and I would love to get them off of the supplement. They get things in their noses that my girls never did. It is heartbreaking to me. I would do anything to get my guys 100% to the breast. I have been working on this. I think you really can do this since your little one is so interested and is suckling. That will definitely bring in the supply. You can also hand express or pump after feeding to help bring up the supply even more. I wish you well!

Thanks again ladies for all of your advice and comments. I did tell my DH about continuing to BF on Saturday. He wasn't angry with me for BFing still, but he is a bit disturbed that I kept it from him. I explained that I felt that both he and my mother pressured me to quit in the first place. He said that he just didn't like to see me in such pain. He also is concerned that when I go back to work that he won't be able to soothe or comfort our DD because he can't BF her. Which is a good point. I don't know what to do. I feel better now that I told him, but I still feel weird to BF in front of him, so I've still only been BFing 1-2 times per day. I think that it would be too late to get her back to exclusively BFing. I still (and probably won't) tell my mother. (We are very close, and she will be watching my kids for date nights, etc.) I am afraid that if I tell my mother, she will blame every little fuss my DD makes on "wanting the boob" and she won't want to watch her. Does that make sense? Maybe I should just give up on BFing all together? Does my DD benefit AT ALL from 1-2 nursings per day? Is this part-time BFing preventing me from losing the rest of my baby weight?

I'm sorry to know you don't have BF support, especially from the two most important persons. I have a friend were the family was pressuring her to quit and giving her wrong information about BF, she always came to me when she had any concerns. I tried to supported as much as I could, I gave her The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding book as a gift so she can look for answers when she needs them. Try to read as much as you can about BF, everyday you'll learn something and therefore it will give you a new reason to continue to go on. Look for support somewhere else (friends, LLL, Internet, books, etc.). Good luck and stay strong. And yes, your baby does still benefit from those few nursings and it does still help you to loose weight. Any questions feel free to send me a message.

You bet every bit of breastmilk counts. Just take a look at this article. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...nefactors.html
    It is amazing! Just one teaspoon of breastmilk has 3,000,000 germ fighting properties in it! This has encouraged me so much in my situation that I have been going through in getting my supply up. I am fighting for every drop! Is there any way that you can pump when you are away? Also, pump after each breastfeeding session? You would eventually build up your supply and possibly be able to store some breastmilk. If you can't do that, you could always just have your hubby give the bottle (slow flow nipple though such as Dr. Browns or Evenflo) and pump when you are gone to keep up your supply. I would use only a rental pump though which is more effective. You can reassure hubby with that thought. Try not to worry what others think. Arm yourself with the knowledge that you are doing the very best thing for your little one. This is healthy stuff that can really set your child's long term immunity in the future! My breastfed children are so healthy. When they catch something, they fight it off so easily. Your family members just don't understand all the knowledge and research behind the benefits of breastfeeding. My mother is the same way. She has seen me go through all of my bf struggles and says, "Oh, I guess you just have to give the bottle". I just brush it off and stick to my guns at how good the bf is for my little ones. Every tsp. counts! I wish you well. Hang in there. I think if you can get past what others are trying to get you to do and just do what is best for you and your little one, you will most likely be on the road to long term bf success! Take care! Let us know how things are going.

Wow, thanks Anne Marie for that info! I will share that with my DH. It is nice to know that the little bit of BFing she does is beneficial for more than just bonding and comfort. Although, my DS was only BF'd for about 3 weeks and he is very healthy.
    I was a bit concerned today because she didn't want to take the breast as readily as she has been. I thought maybe it is because I started my period, and the little milk I have went away because I read somewhere that can happen. So, I got out my pump kit (manual pump which goes with Lactina)and pumped for only about 3 mins per side and got out a little over an ounce.(Yeh, my arms got sore ) I think that it is crazy that I still have that much milk left. If I can pump that much in such little time manually, she should be getting more than I thought. I took back my rented Lactina pump about 4 weeks ago.
    I switched her bottles from the playtex nursers to the Avent. With the playtex bottles she was collapsing the nipple and getting very frustrated. The Avent nipples (even though they are slow flow) seem faster and she likes them better. I just hope that is not why she hasn't wanted the breast much today.
    Do you ladies think that it is possible to get back a decent milk supply WITHOUT pumping? I really don't want to rent a pump again. Do you think that just by BFing her as much as she will take at every feeding that will be enough stimulation? She takes about 4 ounces of formula every 2 hours. She won't ever eat more than four ounces. She does sleep the night, so she eats 7-8 bottles per day. How long do you think it would take to get back a full supply since I never really stopped nursing just drastically cut back?
    I really appreciate all of your support ladies! I couldn't get through all of this without you all.

I think to get a higher supply, you are going to have to nurse more often than just 1-2 times daily. Eventually your milk will go down further if you keep up with that much formula and little bf. Especially as your little one gets older, she is going to get smarter and more hooked on the bottles. Try and get the slowest flo nipples as possible. Dr. Browns is really good. Sold at Target. First nurse, then offer the bottle with every feeding. You could even use a supplemental tube like the SNS or Lact-Aid to keep stimulation going at the breast. Just use this AFTER the feeding rather than throughout the whole feeding (directions say differently). Madela sells the SNS. Over time, the more that you nurse, the higher your supply will go. The supply is mainly based upon supply and demand. So the less the demand, the less the supply. It would be best if you could pump after each feeding. I know that is time consuming though. If you used the Lact-Aid or SNS, you could probably ditch the pump. Keep it up. A little bf is great. You should be able to get your supply up though. It is just going to take some time and persistence. You can call the Lact-Aid international. They are so helpful on the phone. The lady has a heart for helping women get on track. The Lact-Aid is a little harder to use but more affective. The SNS is easier to use but can be harder to get the baby off of it. I wish you well! Let us know how it goes. http://www.lact-aid.com/

I think that we are done . For the last couple of days, I haven't been able to latch her at all. She screams and fights me when I offer her the breast. This makes me feel terrible, and I give her a bottle. Maybe it was the Avent bottles that messed things up because they are a bit faster. I don't know. I've been manually expressing, and manually pumping a bit. It seems like the supply is about the same, she just doesn't want to latch anymore. I've tried napping with her this afternoon skin-to-skin and she still wouldn't take me, although she would comfort suck on the binkie. Go figure. I just wanted to thank all of you ladies for your continuing support. It has been so nice to have this place to come for support.
    I figure that I exclusively BF'd her for almost 2 months and she had breast milk until she was 3 months, and I think that I've given her a good start. I did my best, and I'm going to try not to get depressed about it.

I'm so sorry. I know it is discouraging. You did do your best and did give her some antibodies, so that is good. Your baby is just probably attached to the bottle now. You can still over come that though if you are up to it. It will be some work involved though. You would have to retrain your baby to take the breast. You would use a nursing supplementor such as the Lact-Aid or Madela SNS. You might have to finger tube feed at first to get baby used to the idea of a tube. It can work. Just let us know if you want more specifics if that is the way you want to go. Cheer up. You did do the best you could. You are a wonderful mother!