Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Digestion of Breastmilk

Default Digestion of Breastmilk

I was wondering if anyone out there could answer a question. I keep reading where breastmilk is digested within two to three hours of consumption. Is this the case regardless of the amount that is consumed? For instance, if my DH gives our DD three ounces of breastmilk in a bottle, is that completely digested in the same amount of time as compared to if he gave her five ounces? Just curious. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Amber

Default Re: Digestion of Breastmilk

I have no clue as the the exact science but I know that no matter how much ds eats, he is often ready to go again in 3 hours. He could snack for 5-10 minutes or have a full 15-20 minute feeding and the length in time between the feedings are the same.

Not sure, but I can say that it would be unneccessary to coerce a baby to eat 5 oz to find out! If you're worried about the time between feeds while you're out, perhaps just offer two bottles w/ 2.5 ounces instead of the 3?

Thanks for your replies. I was just wondering out of curiosity and for my own information. DD downs a 5 ounce bottle every two hours when she's awake without pause (she's an eater!!) Of course she's sleeping through the night for anywhere from 5-10 hours so she's got to make up for her lost feeds somehow!