Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Drooling and hands in the mouth

Default Drooling and hands in the mouth

Can anyone tell me if this is normal for a 2 mo. baby? Today Zane had his hands in his mouth all day long. Usually that is code for "I'm hungry", but I figured he couldn't possibly need to eat all day. He was awfully drooly today (which he usually isn't). He soaked two different onesies with drool running onto his back (poor baby). He doesn't seem too unhappy, a bit fussier than normal, but he's content and sleeping right now.

Does this sound familar to anyone out there?

Default Re: Drooling and hands in the mouth

Totally normal. Babies explore their world with their mouths, which is what it sounds like yours is doing! Does make it a bit harder to tell when they're hungry, but he'll let you know for sure if he is and you're not nursing him yet! HTH

A little early to start teething, but thats what all the drool sounds like to me. I know some of the babies on this board got teeth early, maybe they will chime in.

my son is the same age and is doing the same thing. I think he has found his hands and just likes to chew on them.

mine is doing the same thing...

the ped told us on tuesday that the salivary glands start kicking in and they don't know how to handle the excess. he said it could also cause those gurgling sounds you may hear when he's sleeping.

but..he also said some babies start teethong early and that it can take about 2-3 months before they break through the skin!

i've just been making sure i wash the drool off because he can get a bit rashy sometimes..

good luck!

Mine started drooling at about 2 months also. Now he's 4 1/2 months and still no teeth. I think some are just more drooly than others.

My 3rd, now 3, got his 1st tooth at 11 weeks! That was a big shock to us and my nipples as my 2 older children were 6-7 mo before they got their 1st teeth. My youngest now almost 5 mo has had his hands in his mouth since he was about 2 mo. I don't think he's teething but they must taste really good.

one word - BIBS and lots of them

My 5 month old has been doing the same thing, but she has been doing it for a couple of months now. I keep saying "I think she's teething", but no teeth yet. Though she did start chewing on her tongue the other day and I am wondering if this is a teething thing......

My son started drooling a lot around 2 months, hand biting at about 2.5 months, got a chin rash at about 4 months, cut his first tooth at 4.5 months. But its been two weeks, its not all the way up yet. And no more teeth, but continues with the drool and biting.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)