Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She Is Wearing Me Out

Default She Is Wearing Me Out

My daughter is 3.5 months old, corrected age 2.5 months old. She was early bird. I never mentioned it before cause I didn't know if it was relevent to bf. Anywho, she is attached to my boob like a suction cup. I about never got her off today, from 9am-2:00pm she was wanting to nurse and comfort nurse. Now I don't mind but it was becomming annoying. She would awaken the second my boob popped out of her mouth and she would hurry up and latch back on. This went on the whole time, several times I would just get up and let her fuss for a few and put her back on when she started to cry. What do I do? do I just let her be attached for that long She is really good normally about putting herself to sleep but in the mornings she likes to nurse to sleep and in the evening she will sometimes fall asleep on her own. Majority of the time today she was waiting for letdowns but since I stopped taking the Fenugreek over the weekend my milk supply has decreased bigtime and my milk won't letdown very fast, sometimes it takes 15 minutes of her constantly sucking to get it to letdown. Anyone have any advice? I know she is a mommies girl for sure Also, I am getting comments on how I need to just her a bottle and keep her on it. What can I say in response to this? I am not giving her a bottle.

Default Re: She Is Wearing Me Out

Have you tried breast compressions? Seeing alot of wet diapers? Sounds like a growth spurt...

Compressing does not help at all. She is having good amounts of wet diapers.

Are you so sure your milk is decreasing? You can have a good supply and still have a lenthy time before a let down. They are entirely separate from each other. If you are getting a healthy amount of wets, you have an abundant supply. Here is a link to a childrens hospital, it discusses how some women have difficulties with their milk ejection reflex, and continues on with some medicine details you may want to talk over with your dr.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; April 30th, 2007 at 11:55 PM.

I know it probably seems like all you do all day is nurse your baby, but it's such a short time, really, in the grand scheme of things. I went through a similar spell with my DD, and I felt frustrated and guilty (for not getting all of the housework done, etc. for just sitting and nursing) but then I realized the importance of putting people before things and made myself relax. THere was really nothing in the world I wanted to do but sit and nurse/hold/rock my baby. Now, she's 4 1/2 months and doesn't want to just sit and be held, she'll only nurse when she's hungry and then she doesn't want to be snuggled! She wants to be up and moving around...oh, I miss those long days of sitting nursing, just holding baby.

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

How opposed are you to a pacifier? If she's comfort nursing, you may try this...it works with my 3.5 month old. When the boob comes out, if he makes that frantic grab at it, I pop a pacifier in his mouth so he gets to keep sucking, but just NOT on me. I'll still hold him in the nursing position until he gets comfy with the pacifier then I'll put him in his crib or swing to play. Worth a shot! Good luck!

"My daughter is 3.5 months old, corrected age 2.5 months old. She was early bird. I never mentioned it before cause I didn't know if it was relevent to bf. Anywho, she is attached to my boob like a suction cup.... Also, I am getting comments on how I need to just her a bottle and keep her on it. What can I say in response to this? I am not giving her a bottle."

My daughter is 4 months old, 2 months corrected, and she does the same thing! I think it's just going to take them a little longer (maybe a while even) to catch up to the "normal" nursing patterns...and maybe it's a good thing because it'll help put the wieght on
    I actually am having the same problem with the bottle comments as well! I was told that I really need to be giving DD a bottle once a week to get her used to it so that when I wean her in a few months it won't turn into a fiasco. WHY would I wean her that soon when I'm home with her all the time?! I took her off the bottles that she had been on in the hospital so that she could become better at breastfeeding, and now that she's doing well I don't see why I would even think of doing an about-face, and I definately don't see the point of weaning her from the breast in a few short months only to go back to exclusively pumping like before. That was horrible! I didn't know what to say either when she was giving me her instructions, but it bothered me...had to vent!

Yesterday she only had 2 wet diapers all day long and maybe 3 today. So wet diapers are not good. I started taking the Fenugreek 2 every 2 hours again starting yesterday. I am noticing an increase in milk and I can hear her guzzling. I will not stop taking the Fenugreek so soon again, until I know for sure my supply is good enough. She pooped today and I was disappointed to see it was green and not yellow. She seldom has yellow seedy diapers and she is on long enough to get the hind milk. How do I help her get more of the hind milk? I guess all she is getting is the foremilk. She nursed forever around nap time and comfort nursed for a long time at bedtime. My boobs are sore from her being on so much and so long. Tonight she would only go to sleep if she was nursing and when she fell asleep I took her off and she awakened immediatly and I had to reattach her. I might as well duct tape her to me.

Sounds like its time to get a book and do the old boob switch-a-roo all day Green poops can be a sign of food sensitivity. Have you taken a good look around the bum? In particular keep your eyes peeled for a red ring around the anus, can be allergies. If your baby is nursing all the time, and your seeing alot of green, you might want to check out the allergy forum. In general if you have your baby on one breast for as long as you are talking about, your baby is getting hind milk.
    The wet diapers sort of concerns me... maybe someone else has ideas....

Wet diapers were much better today. I have a new concern, she is having extremely watery bm. Last night, and twice today her bm were so watery that it puddled in her diapers. She had one before bed and it was extremely watery and it was yellow and seddy (yay for the yellow and seeds). Should I be concerned about her bm being so watery?