Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 BFing issues

Default 2 BFing issues

I have a 6 wk old dd. I have noticed that everytime I BF I get a purple (looks like) blood blister on the top of each nipple. The nipple doesnt hurt until about 30 or 45 mins after feeding. It doesn't hurt really bad but little. Does anyone know what this is or what causes it and how I can fix it?
    Also I notice that sometimes while in the middle of BF my LO or close to the end of BFing she gets gets really aggressive or aggistated and kind of turns her head back and forth (like a dog playing with a toy) andtugs and pulls while still latched on. It doesn't really hurt but it doesn't seem normal. Any ideas why she does this. She has been going it for about 2 wks now. And like I said it is not at every feeding.

Default Re: 2 BFing issues

Well I'm happy to say I am familiar with the old "turn the head with the nipple still in the mouth trick". Its probably gas, have you tried bicycling the legs or rocking on your thighs, tummy down?
    As far as the other, my guess, without seeing it is that you might need some work on your latch. Check here for latching videos. Have you called your local LLL leader or contacted a Lactation Consultant yet? Both would really be of more assistance.

thank you. That helped alot. Do you know where there are video's of football hold or side lying?

You might want to check out http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

The blood blister effect you describe sounds like vasospasm as decribed about 1/2 way down the page (Reynaud's of the nipple.)