Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First day back...

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default First day back...

Well, maternity leave was nice while it lasted. It's funny how the last 2 and 1/2 months of my pregnancy seemed like a lifetime, and the first 2 and 1/2 months of Matilda's life have just flown by!
    I am frustrated with pumping - I dont feel like I am getting enough out. I had pumped sporaticly (sp) while on leave, and had milk frozen. However, I have not been good about replenishing my supply, and so had about 23 ounces frozen. The baby ate 14 ounces while I was at work, and my DH threw the other bag away, as it had sprung a leak in the fridge and he was worried it was "compromised" (his words - I guess my whole speech about breast milk being like liquid gold went in one ear and out the other! But that's a whole other story...)
    At work today, I pumped twice and got 13 ounces total.When I got home, I fed my LO, and then tried to pump about an hour and a half later, and got only 1/2 an ounce! Help! I feel like I wont have enough for tomorrow and that she'll be hungry. I also need to build up my frozen supply because I am traveling out of town (without the baby) next month.
    I am sure that part of this is because I feel keyed up about going back to work, and am worried that she'll be hungry waiting for me to get home. Any suggestions and words of encouragement would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Sorry this is so long!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Default Re: First day back...

how long are you gone from baby? what kind of pump are you using?
    sometimes its just an adjustment for the 1st 6 weeks, you'll get the hang of pumping and working.
    stress can affect your milk supply!
    Kick hubby for pitching that milk.
    have you seen this calculater? It helps you figure out how much milk to leave for baby.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Hi - First of all congratulations on your beautiful girl.

The first week is rough but you will make it. Keep up the good work.

Probably the 1/2 oz you got when you came home was because you were still stressed from the adjustment or because your body didn't have enough time to replenish.

If you are not already doing so, it may be helpful for you to try to pump at home in the morning before you leave so get up... feed her... then pump to get the rest out. Or, try the feeding on one side and pumping on the other (this is tricky but can be done). Relax while you are pumping... drink something... think of milk flowing out... don't stress about how much you are getting in x-amount of time, just let it happen and you will be ok.

Typically you have the most milk in the mornings so you may notice you don't get as much milk as the day goes on. Anyway pumping any milk before you leave may help you know she will have enough - with your 13 oz from today and any extra you can get in the morning you will probably be set.

Also... is she finishing the bottles given in the day? Do they have the slow flow nipples on them? Make sure that you are using slow flow ones. If she is not finishing the bottles then you could have the care giver break them down into smaller ones (so as to not waste any milk).

And... forgive DH for the milk mistake, he was trying to do the right thing and didn't want her to have any chance of contamination or not the freshest milk possible. Give him a pat on the back and a hug for doing the other things right.

All the best to you.

It will get better. When I started back to work it was so hard to make enough milk that I had to dip into my freezer stash. Now, we are fine and I am making enough to donate to premiees!

Just keep at it and try not to stress b/c stress will make it worse. One trick I did is every time I pumped at work I would have a nice cup of hot Mother's Milk tea to relax!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Thanks everyone - I have had some time this evening to calm down and feel better about tomorrow. I REALLY appreciate any and all suggestions and kind words of encouragement! Going back to work is rough and I feel all wonky right now.
    Andrea, thanks for the calculater link. According to that, I will have enough for tomorrow. I have a Medela electric pump, and am gone about 9 hours total during the day. Today, I fed her at 5 a.m. before getting ready for work and then my LO ate twice while I was gone and was ready to eat when I got home at 3:30.
    I am going to use the suggestion made by csan and add a morning pump session while at work. I figure if I can try to pump 3 times during the day, I should be able to get ahead.
    I have tried to forgive my DH about throwing away a bag, but tonight when I told him I was worried she'd get hungry in the late afternoon, he said "Well, I'll just give her formula if that happens." I ALMOST THREW UP!!!! Hmmm...it sounds like the mister and I have some things to talk about!
    Motherhood is serious business, but truthfully, I wouldn't change it for anything in the world!

Jessica
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

This is an update at the end of my first week back.
    Things have gotten a lot better. I am producing more now in my pumping sessions, which has allowed me to freeze one bag of milk each day (about 4-5 oz). The baby is on a better schedule and I feel better about leaving her. I am fortuate to be able to leave her with DH, my mom or my sister depending on the day, so that's a huge weight off right there. Also, thank god I work where I do - it's 98% women, and about 80% of them BF'ed their own kids. They have been great so far about me needing to pump.
    All in all, I feel like I'm in a better place than where I was Monday!

Jessica
    Currently TTC Baby #2

That's great! Good for you! It's great that you work somewhere that is very understanding.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

I wish I had been so lucky about supportive co-workers. I had an older lady in the office (who BFd all 4 of her kids, mind you) who complained to my boss that I was taking too much time (30 mins) to pump and that I was interfering with her lunch break. So my boss (who was unaware of the laws, as was I at the time) told me I had my 2 10 min breaks and my lunch half hour to pump. I was so upset - there is no way I could pump in 10 minutes! And i was mad that she, a mother who breastfed, would cause me such problems! Then my girlfriend sent me all the links and I sent them to my boss and to her and I haven't had an issue since.

Yeah!! I am so very happy for you as well. Sounds like you are doing AWESOME! Great job on getting through the first week with flying colors. And I too am envious of the support you are getting at your work.