Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: biting and distracted???? weaning?

Unhappy biting and distracted???? weaning?

Hi,

We have been having a rough week of breastfeeding. The pinching, pulling, shoving with arms and feet have been going on awhile and I am sort of used to them. My daughter still gets distracted fairly easily, and I'm used to that too. But, this past week she has started biting in addition to everything else. I am ready to throw in the towel!

I have read lots of posts and articles and have some good suggestions to try now. Since she is doing all of these things at the same time and is 13 months old could she be ready to wean herself? Also, she has never been on a schedule except for lunch and dinner, would it be helpful to schedule her? I am going to start some sleep training because she still isn't sleeping well either.

Thanks in advance for any more advice or suggestion. Sorry if I sound cranky, I'm just tired!

Michelle

Default Re: biting and distracted???? weaning?

Is she teething? My son (also 13 months) was driving me nuts last week biting and lo and behold......there was a nice new tooth 3 days ago. Whenever he'd bite, I'd just say, "That hurts mommy!" and pop him off. He seems better this week- less biting since that tooth popped out.

And I'm a tired mom too, my son doesn't sleep either. I don't believe in CIO so I'm reading and trying to come up with a method of sleep learning that will fit our family. Good luck to you!

She could be teething, I'll try to figure it out. What is CIO? I am going to try the method that worked for my sister's 11 month old twins. Thanks!

- just realized what CIO means, I don't like it either!
    Last edited by wymom; April 30th, 2007 at 12:11 PM.

Lack of sleep doesn't help any situation. I've been there and I feel for you. It will get better. You just have to believe it. Mez didn't start sleeping through the night until he was 2 1/2 years old. And I've definitely had times where I thought I was killing myself going through all the biting, pulling, etc with breastfeeding. Please don't give up. If it's not teething, it is just a phase. Just let her know that it hurts you when she does it. I would pop Mez off and hand him to my husband when he bit me. It didn't last for long.

-Lauren

CIO helps when u know they have had food/changed/and played for quite some time and u need to get something done....james has been that way and i need/want to get dishes done or laundry done i just put him in his crib (he wont get hurt or anything) and once u hear it quiet down go peek in and see what s/he is doing and then let them be for awhile so u can get what u need done. sorry if that doesn't helped but it helped both of mine to know that they can go to sleep by themselves. it also helps, at bedtime, to have a routine like ours is dinner, bath, lil playtime or books or a certain movie, then bed. james is usually asleep by 8 while nursing i don't mind that right now cuz the more he nurses the more milk i produce!!! with connor now that he's almost 2 same routine but we do need to work on getting him to sleep my hiself at least by the time he's 3 i'm hopin hope something helped!!!

I have a 14month old biter- she thinks its very funny too. I just unlatch her when she does bite. Tell her it hurts mommy and If I am nursing her to sleep, just put her in her crib and leave the room. I wait outside the door for 30 seconds or so and then return to pick her up and continue to nurse with no problems..usually....They are quite bright at that age. THey know what they are doing!!! Mine does it if shes overtired too.

It may not solve it completely, they will test you and test you again and again. Just be firm, patient and consistent in whatever you chose to do to solve the problem.

Hi wymom,
    How does your daughter seem today? Any improvements? Are there times of day when she is happier about nursing and more relaxed?
    Many times, when toddlers are ready for weaning on their own, they start dropping nursing times here and there, asking less often and going on with their busy toddler lives. The pinching, pulling, biting, and shoving makes me wonder if something else is going on, such as teething, ear infection, or other impending illness. Are there any other changes going on in your daily routine?
    I've included some links with information about biting, and a review of the book Mothering Your Nursing Toddler, and nighttime parenting. Hope this helps!
    Biting
    Book Review: MOTHERING YOUR NURSING TODDLER
    Nighttime Issues
    Hang in there!
    Mary