Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Let sleep or wake up

Question Let sleep or wake up

I have a 3 week old son and he struggled with BF early on because I didn't have a strong output. My LC suggested that I wake him every 3 hours during the day and to pump immediately after and every 4 hours at night and pump afterwards (partly because he didn't want to nurese and he was losing too much weight). MY milk supply is now strong, however my son still prefers to eat from the bottle when he is very hungry (I guess there is too much work involved at the boob). I still continue to offer the breast but he doesn't always take it.

I guess my question is, would you continue to wake him or should I let him sleep? He is a big boy - 9 lbs 10 oz and is back at his birth weight.

Default Re: Let sleep or wake up

Its will be best for your milk supply if you can get your baby on the breast. As well as the waking him up, can you wear him in a sling? This helps the baby realize where the milk comes from, and stimulates the desire to nurse.

No - I haven't tried a sling - didn't know that would work...guess I should try it. I am a larger women with large breasts and a lot of things don't work that other smaller framed women can do...

I use a Moby wrap, and I'm over 207.

If he is gaining well, I would not wake him to nurse. That's just me, though. I woke my daughter her first few weeks because she had lost too much weight and really needed to eat. It was really stressful for both of us and a relief when she had gained enough that I could stop worrying about waking her.

I agree, you should try to get him back to the breast if you can. My daughter experienced some nipple preference because of early supplementation. It was really hard for me to get her back to the breast. What did the trick was nipple shields -- and a lot of patience, prayers, and support from friends! We used the shields from week 2 or 3 until about week 5, and then we were able to wean her from the shields.

Good luck and I hope you get some good advice here!

When I had to do breast and bottle ds had a hard time at the breast. When I stopped bottles cold turkey he breastfed alot better. We used the shield too for the first couple of months. I think that helped, but then you have to wean from the shield. Also, skin to skin time helps alot.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

I think I would try to drop the bottles too. And as far as waking him up, maybe you could let him go to 6 hours instead of four at night. Mine would always wake up before 6 hours at that age anyway.

Sounds like you have had a pretty busy 3 weeks. I think I would be absolutely exhausted bfing and pumping that much. I hope you are getting some naps!

My pedi said to stop waking him at 1 week. My son NEVER woke up on his own for the first week. But as soon as I started letting him wake up on his own, he never slept for more than 3.5 to 4 hours, and then would cluster feed at other times during the day. (cluster feeding means eating more often, like even every hour). That way he would still get the 8+ feedings per day necessary. If you watch diaper output (5-6 wet, at least 1 poopy per day) you should be fine.

Things change so quickly- it wasn't too long before he was eating every 2 hours or less and I missed those long stretches of sleep. He's 6.5 months and still nurses every 2 hours or so, but he's efficient so it's all good.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Its will be best for your milk supply if you can get your baby on the breast. As well as the waking him up, can you wear him in a sling? This helps the baby realize where the milk comes from, and stimulates the desire to nurse.
    I love my Moby wrap, but I have to be careful, my daughter will sleep forever in it and not wake up to eat, I have to make sure I watch how long she;s been in it.