Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "weight falls off breastfeeding" - How??!!

Default Re: "weight falls off breastfeeding" - How??!!

The basic figure of calories burned through breastfeeding is supposed to be 20 calories per oz of breastmilk. To figure how many oz/feeding baby is getting, weight baby naked before and after feeding then subtract before weight from after weight. I did this for a day to figure what my additional calore intake should be (I was loosing too much weight too fast) and found out that I need about 800 extra calories/day. (about 5 oz/feeding ave, 8 feeds/day). Now I watch my calories to make sure I get the additional 800 I need but am careful not to go over. As other posted have listed the weight loose is usually in the first 6 weeks, then after it starts adding back on unless you exercise & watch your diet.
    Last edited by amandalynn; April 10th, 2006 at 01:56 PM.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

well, it doesn't fall off for everybody. i gained almost 50 pounds with my pregnancy, lost 20 very quickly, and haven't lost anything since ds was about a month old. i have a friend who had the same problem, and she assures me that once ds starts solids, things will change. here's hoping...lol!
    yeah, sometimes i worry about my body, but it's not such a big deal right now. my body isn't really mine right now, anyway, it's a working body and it's doing it's job. i'll worry when i'm done bfing and in the mean time be proud that my body can sustain life! You should too!!!
    Good luck!

most of my weight came off in the first 6 weeks. but i walked every day for 1-2 hours with baby and stroller.

i'm approaching nine months now since i gave birth and i am 5 pounds less than when i was pre-preg.. i exercise a moderate amt.--walking 2.5 miles every day, lift light weights 3 times a week, and yoga. i never count calories-- i just eat when i'm hungry (all the time), but eat whole foods like veggies, fruit and whole grains.

pregnancy was a scary thing for me because i had lost 80 lbs and kept it off for 6 years. the thought of having to gain 30 lbs was so scary. but it really is true, nine months up and nine months down. i finally fit into my tiniest pants just last week

Everyone is different so don't pressure yourself to lose the pregnancy weight!! I was a lucky one. I'd anticipated having to carry around those extra pounds after giving birth. But, during my first trimester, my OB found that I had a hypo-active thyroid and the meds to correct that caused me to lose about 25 pounds during my first and second trimesters. During the third trimester, I developed hypertension/pre-eclampsia and gained a TON in water weight. But, after two weeks of delivery, I was 20 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight... But even though the weight is gone, I still feel flabby at nearly four months post-partum. My skin is starting to get back to normal but now my crazy DH wants to talk about having another!!

Amber

i don't know how other women do it, i seem to be hungry all the time now that i'm bfing and i've gained back all the water weight i lost after giving birth!
    i lost close to 30 lbs in the first trimester due to extreme morning sickness but i gained about 35 lbs the last 2 trimesters and after dd was born i lost 28 lbs and now i've gained about 12(or maybe more!)

Smile Re: "weight falls off breastfeeding" - How??!!

I only gained 7 lbs total during my pregnancy but I was overweight to start (5'6", 215 lbs, 222 lbs at nine months) so it was o'kay. I went down to 198 within a week or so, almost 25 lbs. Now at 6 mos post partum, I am back to my 215.

I agree that the melt off happens right after birth but after that I guess you need to work at it a little more. Now that the weather is getting nicer here and the snow is almost all gone atleast I can get out and walk. Hopefully that will help.