Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "weight falls off breastfeeding" - How??!!

Default "weight falls off breastfeeding" - How??!!

For those of you who had your weight "Fall off" breastfeeding - how did this happen??!! I want to know your secret!

How many calories a day do you think you are/were eating? I know we are supposed to eat 300-500 calories more than pre-preg, but I have no idea what pre-preg calories for me was! I never figured it out, so I have no idea what I should be eating now!

If I want the weight to "melt off", how many calories do I need to eat a day?

Any exercise?

How long did it take for the weight to "melt off"?

Any comments would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Default Re: "weight falls off breastfeeding" - How??!!

For me, with both kids, withint he first 2 weeks, bf made all the baby weight disppear. Now with dd#1 I stopped shortly after, and then gained back all of it. With dd#2 i am still going (she is 6 months old) and i have gained back at least half...lol

My dr said that bf works for weight loss the first 6 weeks or so and then it actually is easier to put it back on unless you are religious about working out and eating right.

I am not sure on the calorie thing - i would see your dr

My DD is 3 weeks old and I've lost 30 (plus) pounds, which is an additional 10 from the pregnancy. Woohoo!!!

Supposedly you burn 300-500 calories JUST in milk production and breast feeding. That's a lot of work for your body!

I'm also having a hard time eating regular meals. I scarf down what ever is handy, and what ever I have the time to shove in my mouth between naps and feedings, which I'm sure has a lot to do with my weight loss (because I should be eating more).

I am stuck and have been for the past 4 months. I lost 25 lbs withing the first month, but gained 45 total during the pregnancy so that was only a part of it. I have cut out pretty much all preprocessed foods recently and noticed that seems to have helped some (dropped 2 lbs this week) but have not been working out much because of back spasms.

I will say this... With dd I gained 60-65 and it took me 3 years to lose that, but I did not breastfeed. Now I avoid all fats but the good ones (almonds, avocados, etc), refined foods, high sugar things, I don't eat any dairy or meat so that helps too. But I sure feel a lot better.

I gained 66 lbs with DS, a goodly amount of which was baby (11.5 lbs!) and fluids -- I was so swollen I couldn't walk by the time he was born. But after I dropped 40 lbs in the first 2 weeks after losing the fluid, that still left me with 26 lbs. As soon as my midwife gave me the all-clear to start exercising at 6 weeks, I walked every day for a couple hours with DS in a sling but pushing a stroller for extra work, and also went back to doing my stable work; I raise horses, and mucking out every day burns calories. I also couldn't sit down much due to DS's temperament unless we were nursing But I didn't really watch what I was eating, and I never had time to prepare meals, so it was pretty much whatever I could find that was easy to munch right there. I tried to make sure those were healthy options like fruit, veggies, cheese, crackers, bread machine breads, stuff like that instead of junk food. It was all off by 12 weeks for sure, and I lost an additional 15 lbs in the next year, but I put a few pounds back on in preparation for a second pregnancy (I couldn't ovulate until I put some weight on and stopped nursing between 1-3AM).

Most pre-pregnant women need around 1500-2000 calories a day, depending on their activity level. And 300-500 extra calories a day is really not as much as we think. It's a medium sized apple and a slice of bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter, for example.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

FWIW, the weight has never "melted" off of me! To be certain, I've had to work at it

For the first time in 3 pregnancies and breastfeeding, my weight 'melted' off. I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day. I simply eat when I am hungry and stop when I'm full. I guess I figure my body will let me know if I need more by telling me I'm hungry? With my other two babies, I ate more because I knew I was supposed to consume more calories (while never actually counting them) and I kept an extra 15 from each child. I'm hoping I can take off some of what I have left from them since everything else has come off in less than 7 weeks...hope this helps!

everyone is different- it is defenatly not falling off of me, i am working at it- walking, rollerblading and eating right (most of the time ). The important thing to remember is that you are beautiful and you have a beautiful baby!!

I'm one of those ladies that others love to hate. I lost all of my pregnancy weight within the first week.

I know, calorie wise, for me that to maintain a 125 lb weight on a 5'6" frame I need to take in 1300 calories. If you add breastfeeding into the mix, I need about 1800 calories. I don't keep track of what I get though, I just eat when I'm hungry. Which is all the time!!

I was so worry about losing weight after putting on 41lbs during pregnancy, especially after reading books saying your body will never be the same and it taking years to regain your figure. Well after two weeks I had lost 23lbs and now 5 months later I'm at my pre-pregnant weight. I haven't followed a special diet or exercise program just healthy eating, which consists mainly of vegetables (I'm a veggie) and fruits. Try not to think too much about it, as a previous post said...you are beautiful and you have a beautiful baby